Saturday, February 28, 2015

They call it the...(And they call Albert Castiglia and Josh Smith GUITAR MASTERS at The Funky Biscuit, too!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/28/15


...Funky Biscuit. The guy who owns it is Albert Poliak. He put a real Hammond B3 on the stage which he occasionally plays. This is an authentic BLUES joint. Ray is in charge of the sound and it can't be beat.

But this is not about the joint or Al or Ray. This is about the music.M U S I C. All caps 'cause last night was one that BLUESiacs will talk about in the years to come. Let's start with Josh Smith returning to his roots here in South FL. Continue with John Yarling pushing the beat just a bit. Add Steven Raimundez on bass keeping the rhythm straight. The trio is dynamic and solid. Josh does the vocals and you know that some gal, somewhere broke his heart. He is an incredible guitarist. Creating BLUES riffs like you've never heard before. The play list included tunes like the theme from Peter Gunn, "Letting You Go", "No One But Me", "That Ain't Love" a little JAZZ with "C Jam BLUES" and an original instrumental "Penance" that had me thinking about how I live my life. There is not a seat to be had and there are about 20 folks standing here and there. Albert Castiglia follows with Bob Amsel on drums and Matt Schuler playing bass. He plays one he says he wishes he had written "Have You No Shame" and follows with "Searching the Desert". He rocks the joint with "Put Your ??? Down Baby" and folllows with a slow drag. Nancy and Jimmy Belize are in the house. Nancy says that Jimmy "gives the best oogy-woogie". I was to embarrassed to ask but if any one out there knows what "oogy-woogie" is let me in on it. I'm sure I would be better at it than Jimmy.

Albert does "Bad Avenue" one of my favorites and then Josh returns and man o'man the Jam is on. They get funky with "Going Down, Down, Down" Here are two of the very best guitarist BLUES men on one stage at one time. John Yarling returns on drums and Josh does "I Ain't Got No Woman & I Don't Give A Damn".

BLUES is in town and on stage here and now. Albert and Josh do an exchange of solos and then 4's and then in joint chorus and I ain't never heard nuthin' like it. Now Drew Preston comes to the stage. If I had a million bucks I couldn't buy better than these 3 on stage together. Holy ----! "I Got My Mojo Workin" and we are in a musically separate place. Guitars, guitars, guitars. Now it's Drew's turn with Josh and they deliver, do they ever deliver. The audience won't let them go without 'one more'. The 'one more' is "Shake Your Money Maker". My toes are tappin'. My hands are clappin'. I'm leaning forward to catch every note and nuance. Some might say I was having a damn good time. I was. I look up and spot Mr. Charlie Boyer, passing through like the breeze. He's having a good time, too. The show is over and we get a chance to thank and 'hang' with the stars for a moment or two. I remind Albert about the pronunciation of his name. He reminds me that a fat Jewish kid wouldn't know how to pronounce an Italian name. I will refer him to my adoptive mother Mrs. Josephine Tedesco who had me drinking Medaglia D'Oro coffee   when I was 5 years old.

I am meeting up with Charlie over at the Bonita Blues Festival this coming weekend where we will get to see Albert again, twice! Anyone want to join us for a day?

JAZZ & BLUES FLORIDA has four (as a set ONLY) tickets for one of the two days ($100 at Friday gate-purchase price or $120 for Saturday gate-purchase price). To 'win' the tickets enter the drawing by doing these two things: 1) Leave comment below about what you think of my writing (Yes, Charlie came up with this!) and 2) Sign up for the Jazz & Blues Florida mailing list on this form: http://www.formstack.com/forms/?1648727-uSFqVQ7Swr  or use the link over on the left side of this page. (No problem if you are already a list member, just update your info on the form and Charlie will figure it out.)


Drawing for ONE winner for FOUR TICKETS to be held Monday, March 2, 2015 at 4pm, eastern. Winner to be notified via email provided in email list sign-up submission. Good luck w/ this good deal! See someone(s) of you in Bonita!!

More info on Bonita Blues Fest at: http://jazz-bluesflorida.blogspot.com/2015/02/bonita-blues-festival-announces-after.html 



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment