Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The early bird...(...for Allen Kanovsky this bird sings in the early EVENING, not the morning!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/25/15


...can catch some real good music. 

JAZZ is starting to get some early starts in the Southland. CafeVico with Clarence Palmer starting at 6PM on Thursday. Q-Bar with Martin Hand on Sunday starting at 7 and Le Chat Noir with Aldo Salvent hosting a Jam starting at 7 on Tuesday.. 

Last night Dr. Jules, Bill Rutan and I hit LeChat. The music on the early nights is upstairs in the bar. Limited seating but really pleasant atmosphere. With Aldo last night had Dan Mathieson on piano, Jose Albizu (bass), and guests Joel Ologimbel (guitar) and Carlos Alabacci playing bass. We only stayed for one set as the good Dr. had some urgent business to attend to. We ate panninis, drank some wine & beer. Dr. Jules and I shared that incredible Grand Marnier dessert and we all enjoyed some really good 'straight-ahead' JAZZ. 

"You Came To Me From Out Of Nowhere" was the opening tune. Right off you can't help but notice the influence Stan Getz has on this young tenor man. Smooth, easy, creative and emotional. It was followed with "No Greater Love". The rest of the group feels Aldo's sensitivity and follows suit with their solos. Jose's bass solo was extra special. When they did "Girl From Ipanema" Dan picks up on the soft approach thatAldo has taken and responds with a notable solo. Paying tribute to another great saxophonist, Sonny Stitt, they do "Sonny Moon For 2". A swinging "Have You Met Miss Jones" has us all clappin' & tappin' to close the set. 

Note: I have stopped asking ladies to accompany me when I plan on going to Le Chat. I introduce them to Alex. The last two women I have had meet him no longer answer my calls although Alex mentions their names from time to time. 


Aldo is booked for Arts Garage in May. I wouldn't miss it.








Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment