Sunday, February 8, 2015

Short, Sweet, Hot & Fresh...(Is Allen Kanovsky talking about his morning espresso or music here?)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/08/15
....Nooooooo, and I am not talking about my teen-age sweetheart, Rose. 

Instead I use those terms for the musical program I attended at Broward College yesterday afternoon. The college's Visual & Performing Arts Department presented a concert titled Essentially Ellington which would feature local High School JAZZ bands. Participants included, Taravella H.S., Stoneman Douglas H.S., Coral Springs H.S., North Broward Prep, DCA JAZZEnsemble II, South Broward H.S., Deerfield Beach H.S. and Olympic Heights H.S. There was also an Exhibition performance by the Parkway Middle School. I missed the first 3 but arrived in time for the rest of the show. Short because that's the length of the review. Sweet & Hot is the description of the music I heard. Fresh is what all the players were. Each of the bands played great charts. Soloists were well selected. The feminine gender was well represented thru-out. Band members numbered from 14 to 18. Many of the songs played were unfamiliar to me but it didn't lessen the enjoyment of the program. 

This is a precursor to the competition to appear in the Essentially Ellington program at Lincoln Center in the Apple. I am  somewhat prejudiced in my listening. DCA, (Dillard Center for the Arts) is local for me. Mr. Christopher Dorsey is the band director. An outstanding musical educator, Chris doubles as a guide to responsible adulthood. The band this year, is brand new to me. It is brand new to him as well. Under his guidance and tutelage some of these young men and women will appear on major stages, worldwide. 

It heartens me to listen to the youngsters of today who have taken an interest in playing the music America discovered----JAZZ.  







Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment