Saturday, February 7, 2015

I don't know if the...(Clarence Palmer gives Allen Kanovsky some B3 education at Cafe Vico)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/05/15

...Hammond B3 organ was the first instrument to employ electricity. Long before there were electronics  that could bend, louden or even create sound, there was the Hammond with its accompanying Leslie  Speaker. The sound it produces is as magical as the process of the instrument itself. My first conscious awareness of the B3 was recordings of the Louis Jordan band with Bill Dogatt on the organ. That was a long time ago. 

Last night at Cafe Vico, I was treated to the sound of this miraculous instrument played by Clarence Palmer. With him were Jim Adle (sax) and Abner Torres(drums). With me were my favorite dance partners and friends, Denise and Jackie. In the audience were Clarence's daughters Carol and Robin along with their Mom, Julie Alli. 

They started the evenings music with the ballad "Say It Over Again". Clarence and Jim speak the same musical language and bring you along. Jim sings the words to "Fly Me To the Moon" in an abbreviated version. The trio sounds great with Abner holding them tight. They do a couple of tunes I don't recognize but enjoy listening to, never the less. Jim does "Pride & Joy" making it fun. The set ends with Clarence vocalizing "The Very Thought Of You", setting the mood for romance. To start the 2nd set Clarence invites two ladies to the mic. They are of the South American persuasion and do "Girl From Ipanema" followed by "One Note Samba". Clarence asks them did they do it in Brazilian or Portuguese. The pair have no idea what he's talking about and we all crack up. He continues, keeping us in Rio, by singing "A Day In the Life Of A Fool". The melody is from the film "Black Orpheus" and the original title is (translated)  "The Morning of Carnaval". The trio does "Summertime" with a slow funky tempo and it gives me the opportunity to take Jackie in my arms. They swing "Almost Like Being in Love" and now I do it (dance) with Denise. Julie comes to the stage to do "Saving All My Love For You". The lady has a set of pipes and performed professionally before changing her career to education. Julie then does "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". 

Her absolutely, drop-dead, gorgeous daughters (they do not resemble their Dad) are enjoying listening to their Mom. The final set began with "Here's To Life" with Clarence delivering a really nice vocal and organ solo. Jim picks up the soprano when they play "Favorite Things". Julie returned to do "A House Is Not A Home". All I can say is "WOW". 

The evening ended with "My Way" which was very appropriate for all of us who were still there. Jackie is happy with her new boyfriend Mike Brignola (baritone sax). Denise is recovering from her Mother's passing and is comfortable to be relieved of 'care-taking' and she is returning to being the happy girl I know. 


Me, I am happy just to be here.  



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment