Monday, February 23, 2015

How to make a Sunday Sundae..(Josh Smith's music is one of Allen Kanovsky's Sunday treats.)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/23/15



You start with a bowlful of JAZZ made up of Wendy Pedersen and Jim Gasior. Pour some BLUES played by Josh Wish, Steven Raimedez & John Yarling, sprinkle generously with some Latin by the Ranses Colon band and enjoy. The JAZZ was at the Universal Universalist church where Wendy and Jim would present a fantastic afternoon of tunes old & new.  Fun songs, sad songs, brand new songs, boy songs and girl songs. The playlist included "'deed I Do", "Frim Fram Sauce", "Peel Me A Grape", "The Boy Next Door" and "Mad About the Boy". Wendy & Jim paid homage to Duke Ellington with 2 tunes very seldom(if at all) heard. "Everything But You" and "Daydreaming". Wendy has great range and power. She knows how to use both. Jim's skill on the 88 is non-pareil. I call him 'the Genius' for good reason. Their program included 2 tunes written by Randall Dollahon with lyrics by Bryan Wilder. "Meet The Brand New You" a song about self-assurance and "Wandering Fool", probably about my life. Wendy returned to school this year to study with Lisanne Lyons at FIU. It is proof that an artist never feels complete. Referring to Valentine’s Day and a woman’s expectations she sang "The Gift" (Regalia Bossa). It explains that the only valuable present is Love itself. Wendy says she will never live down the song she wrote "They Call Me The Take Out Queen". At my request it was done as the encore. The audience including Joel Kruger, Bill Rutan, Nanami Morikawa, Lisanne Lyons, Elaine Porteous  and I enjoy it ' cause Wendy uses all her tools---cute---sexy---funny---timing---vocal innuendo to make it pure pleasure.

Elaine & I head off to "Fishtales" for Josh Smith, Steven, John and the BLUES. OOooops. I did it again. Notes are off into the clouds but not the Cloud. It is sad because Josh is an exceptional BLUES man and doesn't get to South Florida often enough. His guitar and vocals are reflective of long hours of study and practice. He delivers on every level. During on of Josh's solo he quotes Thelonius with "Well You Needn't". JAZZ was born in the BLUES and there are many grandchildren. I apologize to the trio for not being able to be more expansive about their performance tonight. Let it suffice to say GREAT.

The sprinkling came right across the street at BJB's where the Ranses Colon (sans Ranses) band was playing. A group of 7 ladies arrived shortly after I did. Potential dance partners? Unfortunately NOT. They are visiting from Canada. Their salsa dance steps consists of some two-step and hip-shaking. But the Lord hasn't abandoned me. A very pretty blonde is seated nearby. My best line---"Pardon me, Miss----and we dance the night away. Her name is Glenda Batik. Glenda is a Latin vocalist and did one with the band. Dance---Sing----my kind of gal. I do have her card!!!!
  




Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment