Saturday, January 17, 2015

"You Don't Always Get...(And sometimes you GET it ALL at Q Bar Burgers & Blues!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 01/17/15



…What You Want" was a song done by the Rolling Stones 46 years ago. Many of you weren't born yet. It is a life lesson.

Last night I "got" a lot of what I wanted. I wanted to hear Jaimy Lynn play and sing. I wanted to be at the grand opening of Q Bar with Joey Gilmore playing. I wanted to see newlyweds, Nanami and Jamie, at Le Chat Noir. The timing of events was perfect for me to achieve my "wants".

I arrived at the Chart House just in time to catch Jaimy and Vince take their first break. It gave me a chance to enjoy conversation, a drink and an appetizer with Jaimy. When Jaimy returned to the stage I was joined by Nancy (the Mom), her daughter Katy with boyfriend Brandon. Nancy was visiting from Sant Domingo and they are all JAZZ lovers. Jaimy and Vince ran through a series of standards. The chatter of the happy hour audience overshadowed their performance. Jaimy fought through it and delivered both violin solos and vocals. Vince did two songs, "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" and "Do Nothing 'til You Hear From Me". I sang both those songs, 6 nights a week for 6 months while working in a Miami Beach club, "The Pump Room" in 1947. Jaimy's does some great violin on "Moonwalk" and "Mr. Magic". She finishes the gig and follows me to the Grand Opening of the Q Bar with Joey Gilmore as the guest star.

The place is overflowing with BLUESiacs. Standing room only all the way into the parking lot. I spy Martine & Jacques, just returned from a European jaunt. They are with some yacht captains who are quite cordial. Joey opens with "If You Need Someone To Love". One of the lyric lines states "If you want me to love you, I don't need to know your name". I promise you I will never use that as part of any conversation I might have with a woman. He follows with "Honey Bee" which is a really fun BLUES. Then he does "Go 'Round In Circles". An audience member requests a tune from Joey's 1973 recording. "I Gotta Get Out Of Here". Why, you ask? Joey lets you know. "You got a jealous husband and I'm too young to die."

I chatted with owner Chef Laurent Tasic for a moment. Wishing him luck and thanking him for opening a BLUES venue. Laurent is also the owner of The Sage (next door) which is probably the best French restaurant in South Florida. I've lost Jaimy to a hundred guys younger than me, though probably not better looking. I tell Martine & Jacques I am off to Le Chat Noir to hear Nanami and Jaimie.

I get to the bottom of the cellar steps in time to hear Nanami doing "What A Little Moonlight Can Do" which ends the first set. She opens the 2nd set with "There Will Never Be Another You" She adds her own melody and lyrics. Very original and very, very good. Gregory (lost his last name in cyberspace) is at the piano and adds incredible imagination and creativity to the performance. Jaimy is as usual, brilliant on bass. Martine & Jacques have followed me and I join them to enjoy the music. "But Not For Me" and "I Fall In Love Too Easily" are done with sensitivity with Nanami using her voice to deliver a 'tone poem'. Both Jaimy and Gregory take the music far afield with their solos. Cole Porters song "I Concentrate On You" is probably one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Nanami's rendition takes nothing away from that beauty. Rick Katz (Miami JAZZ Co-op) is enjoying the performance with me.

Some day I will learn how to properly take notes on my Droid. Still not there and 'this old man' can't remember what I had for breakfast, let alone what I heard last night. I'm facing Saturday night. Where to go? I'll think about it. Maybe a dance partner will call. (If I were you, Al, I wouldn't count on it.)  











Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment