Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Mia Culpa...(Ok, Allen Kanovksy, we get Latin JAZZ, but LATIN at The Funky Biscuit jam night?)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 01/06/15



...It's my fault. I take full responsibility and will accept my punishment.

Before I am sentenced let me tell you about the MUSIC. Locale---The Funky Biscuit in Boca Raton. Event---The Monday night BLUES jam. The house band---Mark Telesca (bass/host), Drew Preston (guitar/vocals), Matt Schofield (guitar/vocals), Colin James (B3/kb), Raul Valdez (drums).---Ray Rivard (sound engineer). They open with Drew doing the vocal on the BLUES standard "Rock Me Baby". Matt takes the first solo and you know it will be a great night for the BLUES. Drew follows, keeping pace. Colin is at the top of his form with his swinging solo. It's his birthday and he will enjoy every minute. I am seated with my buddy Jimmy and his girl friend Nancy. Joining us is Mark's beautiful wife, Karene. Raul sets the funky tempo as Mark and Colin lay down the bass line. "Love the One You're With" is the tune. Drew does the lyric and follows with one of the best solos I've ever heard him do. And he has impressed me before. The rest of the band responds in kind. A swinging shuffle has Jimmy & Nancy on the floor as Matt sings and plays "I Ain't Gonna Hang Around No Mo'". They start the guest jam with Doug Ramsey coming to the stage to do a couple. Al Poliak takes over on the B3 as Colin moves to the keyboard. Doug does an impassioned "Stormy Monday". Matt emulates Drew's solo and the night continues to get more better & more better, or is betterer and betterer. Ken Burgner replaces Mark on bass as Doug sings "Very Superstitious". Colin is back at the B3 and man oh man oh man, what a solo. J.L Fulks now takes the stage with Mike Loschiavo on drums and Rockin' Jake playing harp. The do J.L.s original "Heading Back to Memphis". For the next tune, J.L. is joined by David Julio (15) to do "Nice & Warm". David's Dad tells me they drive down from Orlando (a 3 hour run) in order for David to play with the best of BLUES musicians. His solo portion is worthy of a well seasoned BLUES man. David stays on stage as J.L. does "Mojo Working". All of this is being streamed live, as it is every Monday night, on Musicianstream.com. It is time for Billy Livesay (guitar) to join with award winning bassist/vocalist Lisa Mann and Anton Laplume (guitar) to do "Going Down To The Crossroads". Lisa takes the mic to do "Let The Good Times Roll" You ain't never heard it done like that before. Blues Bobby has joined in on harp. Hey, every one is singing tonight and Anton does "Riding My Horse". It's Rockin Jake's turn. He is joined by Mike England on bass, Brett Crook (drums), Bobby Nathan (guitar) and a total surprise to me, my long distance gal pal, Jamie Lynn, JAZZ/BLUES violinist. The group opens with "Watermelon Man". Colin returns to the B3 as Jake calls for a BLUES in B minor. First Jake, then Jaimy and Bobby take solo turns and the audience is captured by the emotion of each. Jim Wuest sits down at the B3 when Lynn Simone steps up to sing "You're Gonna Reap Just What You Sow".  Again Jaimy, Bobby and Colin raise the temperature in the room. Somewhere along the line Jim Wuest has taken the bench at the B3. I remember him playing but I can't recall with who and when. Jeff Prine joins Eric Lyndell, Matt Schofield, Raul Valdez and Al Poliak to do "I'm Still In Love With You". Jeff does the best solo I have ever heard him do and that ain't easy. Jaimy stops by for a hug, a kiss & a brief chat. I promise to call to let her know about points of JAZZ/BLUES interest. The band does "That's the Way It's Gonna Be". Jeff calls a tune he has been playing since the age of 8.  I've heard him do that every time I've seen him over the last 7 years. I think I can recite the chord changes. That concluded an exceptional night of listening to the BLUES.



Now the "Mia Culpa". The Funky Biscuit and Al Poliak, on Monday & Tuesday nights, offered a $5 hamburger special. A hamburger that covered the bun, done to your order. Lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and a nice size portion of fries. That same burger is on the regular menu at $12. I mentioned it a few times in this blog. BLUESiacs are known to be somewhat price conscious. Soon, they were flocking to the Biscuit to take advantage of Al's largesse. He could take it no longer. The losses grew as the crowd did. He succumbed to the economics and has increased the price by a buck. Lord have mercy. I didn't feel the pain for 2 reasons. #1. It is still the best burger "buy" in town. #2. It is 34 miles from my door to the Biscuit. Approximately 1 and 1/8th gallons of gas. Last year I paid $3.49 per gal. Last night the price was $2.27. I saved about $1.40 which more than covered the buck at the Biscuit. I am not cheap. I'm good with numbers. I feel responsible for the price increase. I also take full credit for lowering the price of gas across the nation!!!! Al Poliak asked "Are you nuts?.








Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com 
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida


No comments :

Post a Comment