Monday, December 15, 2014

Youth must be served...(And we don't think Allan Kanovsky is talking "medium-rare" here...)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/14/14

...and heard. 

Last night at Le Chat Noir, Antonio (Tony) Madruga and the trio were there for your listening pleasure. Jose Carlos Albizu is on bass, Harvel Nakundi is playing drums and Antonio plays piano. It should read  PLAYS piano. 
Antonio Madruga


The first time I heard him play he was 12 years old. Playing classical and stride. I was there when he celebrated his 16th birthday performing at Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola in New York. He returns to New York to continue his musical education in January. Elaine Porteus was in the audience along with his parents, Cora and Omar. The first set had some easily recognized tunes like "Autumn in New York" and "How High the Moon". Others were first times for me including "Living In Your Own Sweet Way" and "With John In Mind". Young JAZZ musicians with talent delivering music as it should be played and heard. 


The 2nd set opened with Duke's "I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good". They swung it, they bopped it they played the s--- out of it. Antonio played a touch of stride with a bit of Monk phrasing. Jose's solos were representative of a much more seasoned bassist. Harvel is unique in his style of play. It is in rhythms of the future. Antonio did a couple of songs all by himself. He is creative and imaginative. He writes all of the charts himself. One of the tunes was Bud Powell's "Parisian Wail". Just piano with an undercurrent of drum patterns. Antonio displayed his familiarity with the dynamics involved in playing his instrument. 

Julio Padrone
For the last set and final tune of the night, Julio Padrone (Cuban Trumpeteer) joined the trio to play "All the Things You Are". Cuban trumpet players are a tribe apart. All of them that I have heard have exceptional tone and technique. Julio has that same vibe. Jose emulating his countryman played an inspired bass solo. The last 32 bars of this presentation should have been recorded for all the world to hear. It was one of the magical moments in JAZZ. The reason I spend most of my nights listening to live music. 

Thank you Antonio, Jose, Arvel and Julio para musica.
Antonio, wrong place.
Thank you Alexis, Ezzio and Gio for supporting and presenting JAZZ at Le Chat Noir.  
 
A friendly barkeep.

Elaine & friends

Al agrees.


Jose Carlos Albizu

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment