Saturday, December 27, 2014

You say ta-mate-o...(I say, get to the MUSIC, Allen Kanovsky!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/27/14

...and I say ta mah toe. I say ka-stig-lee-a, he says ca-steel-ya. Hey it's his name so I'll let him have it his way. Additionally, Albert Castiglia, CAN PLAY the BLUES. And man did he do it last night at the Funky Biscuit. 


I started my evening with a 2 1/2 hour dinner hosted by my nephew Jeffrey Litt and his beautiful wife Ilene at Kaluz in Ft. Lauderdale. 

Made it to the Funky Biscuit as Albert and the band were taking the stage. John Ginty (B3) was a very special guest. Matt Schuler on bass and Raul Valdez at the kit. They opened with an up-tempo "C-Jam BLUES". John let us hear what a B3 is all about. There was no let up in pace or intensity when they jumped another BLUES tune. Raoul pushing the band when Albert delivered an all left-hand solo. They are funking it up when they do "Devils On The Loose" and "Have You No Shame". John is blowing the whole joint up with his masterful B3-ing. The band plays a couple from Albert's "Bad News Travels" album. Joe Cocker passed away the day before and they pay tribute doing "They Say" and "Feeling All Right". 

Betty Rosenthal is in the house and is shaking the appropriate parts. She isn't the only one shaking it. The packed house is on its feet and the walls are doing it too. Matt joins Albert for the vocal portion and continues with a dynamic bass solo. Matt's solo started with him alone. Then Raul joined in and then John. Nancy, Jimmy and I listened in amazement. Albert chooses his original "Living the Dream". "It's A Goldarn Shame" next and the close the set with "Somebody". 

Two of my favorite activities is people watching in
music joints and at the beach. Two completely different skills are involved. Sitting where she is easily observed is Ana M. I loved watching her listening to the music. Not overly animated. Dancing in her chair. Clapping in time. Waving one arm in the air. All very lady-like but clearly expressing pleasure. She is in Real Estate and offered her card. 

The 2nd set started with a prison song. Parts of the lyric went "somebody write my Mother" and "if you see my Father tell him to waste no tears". John continues to impress. "Feeling Like Jesus Just Came Back" is a tune I have never heard Albert do before. Talk about the BLUES. This was it. Frank Bang (guitar) from the Secret Stash Band steps up on stage and joins Albert in playing Buddy Guy's "Going Down, Down, Down". Frank let's us hear what he's all about and it is being a BLUES man. They do "Pray Tell" and Raul gets a chance to show off. Michael Tash (guitar) takes Albert's axe and Ca-steel ya steps up the the mic to do "Bad Avenue". Kilmo is here and is now playing bass. Al Poliak is playing the B3 and John moves to the keyboard. "I Got My Mojo Working" has the joint jumping and I mean jumping. Everyone up on their feet. Michael takes the first solo and Kilmo is next. They give Al his turn. It is a BLUES jam in every sense of the word. 

Albert does some philosophizing saying "The world is a pretty f----d up place, but what would it be without music." I thought "How true". 

We return to funk mode with "Black Cat Bone". The audience demands one more and the group delivers with Albert singing "Put Some Stank On It". 

It wasn't New Years Eve  but it was a heck of a party. I headed home. Sirius radio, channel 5. "Corina, Corina". I made it.   

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment