Monday, December 1, 2014

It took me 45 weeks...(and how many days, hours, minutes and seconds, Allen Kanovsky?)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/01/14

...to get from the center of Havana, Cuba to Havana Central in Yonkers, New York . The reason I was in Cuba last year was the annual Havana JAZZ Festival. The reason I was in Yonkers yesterday was to listen to some authentic Cuban sounds delivered by the "3D Ritmo de Vida" band. I was not disappointed. 'Havana Central' is a Cuban restaurant in a walking mall. Plenty of shops & restaurants to choose from. If you want live music, plantain chips w/ guacamole, beautiful barmaids, French toast, dolce de leche, this is definitely your kind of joint. Michael Tate leads the band and plays drums. With him were Chris Amelar on guitar, Wilmer Vega (congas), Ariel Delaportilla (bass) and handling all the vocals Reuben Ariel.

The sound was straight from the streets of Havana. Rich tones and multi-layered rhythms. As I've confessed before my Espanol is poquito so song titles eluded me. It mattered not, the tunes and excellent musicianship of all had me shaking my shoulders and tapping out rhythms on the bar. One melody I did recognize was Dizzy's "Manteca". Chris' guitar solo included many Tito Puente quotes. I have enough Spanish to ask a lady to dance. "Permiso senorita. Balle por favor?" Ms. Maria Trinidad (pictured) answered in unaccented English. "I'd love to". We did it. Several times. Dance, I mean. The afternoon was well spent listening to an excellent group of musicians who did their best to entertain. The poster is a repro of one advertising Varadora Beach. It is what Miami Beach was in the late 1940's. A little glitz, a little glamour and lots of beautiful women. It is also the home of the DuPont mansion and a great golf course.

Needless to say I have never lived in a mansion nor do I play golf. The Japanese restaurant with JAZZ is happening tonight.

  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment