Thursday, December 18, 2014

If you have to make...(Have to half? Have to have? You are killing us here, Allen Kanovsky!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/17/14

...a tough choice do you cut the baby in half. 

I made the tough choice and cut the baby up (figuratively). Bette Forman who had befriended me a couple of years ago invited me to a Chanukah / Christmas party at her home in Delray. There would be twenty or so guests and Betty has a lot of women (single) friends.


Aaron Lebos
Aaron Lebos and "Reality" were to appear at The Funky Biscuit, Note that the 'Biscuit' has the best $5 hamburger special on Mon. & Tues. Great band. "Music for the day after tomorrow"(c). Plus the burger. The only thing I could do was cut the cute little baby right down the middle. It was a bloodless deed. Betty's for turkey, Barbara's potato latkes, Betty's hug and kiss on the lips, a vivacious red head named Cynthia and lots of good warm friendship. And then catch the last set at Al Poliak's Funky Biscuit
Eric England
The band is composed of four of the very best JAZZ has to offer. Aaron (guitar), Jim (the genius) Gasior on Keyboard/B3, Eric England (bass) and Rodolfo Zuniga at the kit. If you have never heard them before be prepared for an audible treat. Song titles don't necessarily relate to the tune. If you want to hum along, forget it. Don't even think of time
Jim Gasior
signatures or melodic lines. Just listen to the imaginative creations these masters make. Titles like "Capacitor Plus" or "What Would Rick RubiNn Do". Jim, not in suit and tie, but rather in a Hawaiian hippy shirt plays the future. Aaron is the future. They play one titled "Home". It is the BLUES but not like you've ever heard them played before. Eric is given his chance during this one and takes full advantage of the opportunity. Jim's keyboard figures overpower my thought processes. Aarons rhythmic patterns set me adrift in time. During the last number,"Dancing Robot", Rudolfo took over with an ever changing pattern of drum strokes. If you listened closely you picked up a little "bluegrass" as it will be played in 2064. 

Ben and the ladies....
When I arrived I was surprised to see Mike and Ben Stocker (sax) at a table with Peggy (Jim's wife) and two young ladies, Francesca Romero and Summer Zhant, who are students at Michigan State along
 with Ben. Francesca studied with Jim before gaining a scholarship to MSU. Drew Preston was in the audience and paid close attention. 


Thank you Betty and friends for dinner and warmth. Thank you "Reality" for a dynamic look into the future. Oh, they did a ballad, in it's own time and not something that needed or could sustain a lyric.


Loved every note!!!!!!


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment