Saturday, December 6, 2014

Ed Bell, I and about...(Allen Kanovsky is back on the South Florida Jazz Patrol!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/05/14 (Photos too!)

…70 others including Dale Powers, Piano Bob, Rick Katz, Jeannette Pina, Ted Grossman, Viatali Imareli and other musicians and music lovers got a lot more than expected. Ed handed Ira Sullivan the mic letting him know that there was some time before the broadcast.


Ira started with a musical history lesson and some background on musicians past and present. He met Herbie Hancock when Herbie was only 18. He first heard Antonio Madruga when he was only ten. The subject turned to faith and included some tales about Florida drivers with no signaling and horn blowing. He talked about the music biz and such saying that his only agent all through the years was his Lord, Jesus Christ. The only fee was devotion.


With Ira were his son Brevard (guitar), Brian Murphy (piano), Jaimie Ousley (bass), John Yarling (drums) and Marc Berner (flute). The band opened with Ira playing the intro to "Strangers in Paradise" on soprano sax. His following solo was played using the flugelhorn. Jaimie employed his bow and John got the
whole thing swinging. Ira added some boppish riffs with Brian and Jaimie following suit. Brev joins his Dad in unison intro to a super tempo "Boogie Stop Shuffle". Their unison work was outstanding and the individual solos were the same. Brev took the first turn and then Ira used the tenor sax to continue. Brian as usual, delivered a creative piece of work. Ira and Brev traded 8s and did a surprisingly eloquent counterpoint section. "Boogie" is a Charlie Mingus composition which should be done more often. Marc joins the group on alto flute and Ira plays flute as well when they do "The Little Train From?????. Starting with slow train sounds it soons becomes a lively samba with Brev and Marc delivering masterful solos


Closing the show Ira lets us know the value of faith in the Lord and they do "Day By Day" from the Broadway musical 'Godspell'. Part of the lyric is "To follow Him more closely, day by day". Brev played a truly sensitive solo for his portion. 

Ira's traditional closing tune is "Amazing Grace". Someday, if you catch me at the right time, I will tell you how much the line "to save a wretch like me" means in my life. I listened, learned a lot and enjoyed some real JAZZ played by a few of the very best South Florida has to offer. 



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment