Saturday, December 20, 2014

Depressed, Suppressed, Oppressed...(Allen Kanovsky, you have a lot of musicians sweating right now - that you might be writing about them and not yourself!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/20/14

...and Unpressed. That was me last night. I was depressed by the news of China Valles' passing. The news all day was filled with stories of North Korea and Cuba so I thought of the suppressed and oppressed millions of people. When I shave I am forced to look in the mirror and realize my neck, arms and most of the rest of me is unpressed. There is only one way to fight all this negativity. JAZZ or BLUES LIVE.

El Gato Fresco aka Eddy Balzola is at Soyka's with Yoel DelSol on congas, Rafael Valencia (bass) and Ray Monroig playing drums. I found a table close up to the band and ordered a Jack with a splash and a dash i:e a splash of water and a dash of bitters. Try it. Perfect for winter evenings. The music started with a Latin beat. (I didn't catch a single title). Rafael played a brilliant bass solo. 


A gal with a red dress on was standing nearby, waiting for her parties table to come available. The rhythm caught her and the appropriate parts were in motion. Taking a closer look I determined that there was no evidence of any undergarments --- whatsoever!!!. (Submitted photo omitted at editor's discretion.)
Now having been completely distracted all I can recollect of the music is that it was JAZZ at its best. The group did ballads, traditional Cuban, some straight-ahead and a little salsa. Every solo was thoughtful and made for very good listening. The dining room was crowded and diners are not generally listeners. They are talkers. The noise was distracting to say the least. The good music, good food and even the gal in the red dress could not buoy my spirits. Anyone who knows me, knows that it is not often that I leave before the last note is played. Last night was one of them. I could not shake my mood. My apologies to Eddy, Yoel, Rafael and Ray. You tried your best. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?





No comments :

Post a Comment