Friday, December 12, 2014

About half-way to Tampa... (Allen Kanovsky may be exaggerating the distance, but not the music quality at All That Jazz Cafe!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/12/14




...via Oakland Park Blvd. you will come to Hiatus Rd and a strip center that has 20 times more parking spots than it has stores. The best part is a music school that doubles in Italian food and live JAZZ. The place is All That JAZZ Cafe. It is owned by two brothers and run by their Mom, Esther. Last night they had Mike Norris and his Big Band. 
Esther & Mike

The band was a somewhat abbreviated edition of Mike's regular group but the music was just as good. Mike takes a seat behind the trap set with Luis Disla (alto sax), Scott Austin (soprano/alto), Charlie Gerundo (trombone), Jack Redford (bass) and on guitar???????ooops. 

They opened with Monk's "Straight No Chaser" and I knew I was going to enjoy the evening. For the next two "Blue Bossa" and "A-Train" a young 13 year old pianist, Miles Lennox, sat in.
Young Miles did a more than adequate job and reminded me of another 13 year old, Antonio Madruga, who later on celebrated his 16th performing at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola at Lincoln Center. Tony is in town---look it up. Really nice solos were played by all. They stepped it up with "Satin Doll" and again took turns with solos. Individual play made up for the 'big band' sound. Bob Vandivort (bari/trumpet) arrived in time for the 2nd set which started with "Green Dolphin Street". Jack (bass) is a recent arrival from England and his wife, Crystal,(Cleveland, Ohio) had met while both were working on cruise ships. When they did "Killer Joe" I wished I had brought or met a dance partner --- well, into each life some rain must fall. 

They concluded the evening with a swinging version of "There Will Never Be Another You". The spot has been refurbished and now represents a warm JAZZ club with good sight lines and adequate seating. Nice menu and wine list. 

My apologies to the guitarist. I know him but just cannot recall his name.   



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment