Tuesday, November 11, 2014

You can tell it's a party...(...when Allen Kanovsky walks into the room!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/11/14

...when there's a pitcher of Sangria made with a Spanish Rioja and alongside are several bottles of fine rums, all 8 years or more old.  Add a beautiful hostess, Luz Marina Salazar, her boyfriend Mike Orta, his Mom and a roomful of Latin musicians and now it's not only a party - it's a celebration. This one a Bon Voyage to Luz's opera star aunt Ms. Zorayda Salazar who had been here to star in an operatic event and would be leaving today for her home in Switzerland. I would be treated to performances by famed musicians including Zoryada, pianist Roberto Lozano, guitarists Ricardo Ayala & Gabriel Cifuentes, his wife Sandra Eichler added some vocals, 'Kike' Umana at the piano, Carlos Verdecia singing a couple of tunes and a delightful violin and vocal performance by Joha Giraldo. With Lozano at the keyboard Luz sang "Como Fue". 

My pal Carlo was there and couldn't resist trying to help Luz sing a song. She needed no help but he does. 

"Besame Mucho" became Zorayda's first song followed by "Angelito Negroes". A duet with Luz is a tango rhythmed "A Media Luz". The opera star sings a Puccini aria and the beauty of both her voice and the melody brought a tear to this tough??? guys eyes. It wasn't JAZZ. It wasn't BLUES. It was live music, played and sung by musicians who love what they do and love every note they play. Mike played the piano for Luz to sing a love song to him. There ain't nothin' in the world like LOVE!!!! 

An aside about Latins, in general, and time. I had asked Luz about arrival time for the party.  7, 7:30. I arrived at 7:35. the first one there. The next guest to arrive came in about 8:10. Some others at 8:25. It's one thing to get them to arrive on time it is totally another thing getting them to go home. I finally was able to break it up when I asked 3 of the female guests to accompany me home----------was there something wrong with that?????. 

I asked Carlos. He said it sounded fine to him and could he come along.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


1 comment :