Saturday, November 1, 2014

If you don't want to ruin...(A night, make it a Jazz night w/ Allen Kanovsky!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/01/14

...your reputation as a JAZZ musician, you know better than to start playing on time. Aldo Salvent (tenor sax) Alex Berti (bass) and Carlomagn(ific)o Araya (drums) have nothing to worry about in that regard. It afforded me the opportunity to speak with the talented drummer about his plans for the future. Later on I would talk with Aldo about Cuba and its people. I also had the chance to chat with Alex about his son, trumpeter Alejandro Berti, who is a finalist in the Thelonius Monk JAZZ Trumpet Competition which will be held Nov.9 in Hollywood CA. 

The trio opened with Sonny Rollins' tune "Sonnymoon For Two". It is BLUES based with lots of room for be-bop riffs. Le Chat Noir is a JAZZ club with an intimate atmosphere. During Alec's bass solo the waitress (her first day on the job) engaged in conversation with a customer. Her high-pitched voice carried throughout the room. Alec showed his displeasure musically and facially. You had to be there to appreciate the Slam Stewart-like performance with a scat line along with the strumming. The next tune was "Softly, As In the Morning Sunrise". Aldo's solo displayed his creativity and excellent tone. His saxophone looks as if it's older than me but actually is a recent manufacture by P. Marriat in France. Alex's bass solo showed that the spaces between notes can be as important as the notes themselves. 'Magnifico's solo was the kind that only he can produce. Do you think I am enjoying the music? The best is yet to come. 

Kai Sanchez (bass) has come in and joins me. He helps me with tune titles. There is a tom-tom intro to the bass featured "Stella By Starlight". I had never heard Alex Berti before and he is definitely making an impression. Wonderful to listen to wit extraordinary alacrity. Aldo follows with the melodic line and then some amazing improvisation. The next tune is an original "Santa Amalia". It opens with bass & drums in 2d line rhythm. The rhythm is New Orleans but Aldo's solo is 52d St. Be-Bop. What a great mix. Another original "Benito" follows. The rhythmic pattern is "danson". Kai informs me that it was imported to Cuba from France and is a mixture of both cultures. To say it was romantic would be an understatement. The melody is haunting and I wish I was in the company of a woman. The tune would make it hard for her to resist --- huh????? The standard "I Love You" is played up-tempo and Aldo's long triplet based phrases are exciting. Again Alex has a chance to show his amazing alacrity on bass. 

The 2d set opens with an easy swing "There Is No Greater Love". Each of the trio show their excellent JAZZ chops. Hey, what would a JAZZ set be without "Caravan". This was no ordinary rendition. This was as 'bopped up" as it can get with 5* solos by each. Two young men are asked up to sit in. Jose Alvisu (bass) & Carter on trumpet. The tune they choose is no 'walk in the park'. Monk's "Straight No Chaser". Be-bop is in the house. Carter and Aldo are playing off one another and it catches the JAZZ groove. There are 8's all around with Carlomagn(ific)o to wrap the tune up. Kai gets up to take over on bass and they do "Love For Sale" with a bass/drums section. When Aldo joins in he and Kai do some great stuff together and then again it is bass & drums to push Aldo to the closing bars. 

There haven't been many better musical nights out. Thanks to Aldo, Alex, Carlo, Jose, Carter and Kai. By the way Araya's wife likes the way I describe "Carlomagnifico".     


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment