Friday, November 7, 2014

El Gato Fresco, Le Chat Noir y (Allen Kanovsky get chatty at Le Chat with Oriente Eddy)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/07/14

...El Anciano. Translated to English they become The Cool Cat, The Black Cat and the Old Man. The cool cat is master musician (guitar/vocals) Eddy Balzola. Le Chat Noir is a JAZZ club ala 1930's Greenwich Village . The ambitious project of Alex, Gio and Ezzio. The Old man is simply me. 

Last nite Le Chat became my destination of choice. Eddy took the stage shortly after my arrival and first sip of wine. He opened with a moody intro to "Summertime". He sang the lyric and the BLUES were definitely influencing the presentation. He followed with an instrumental that I thought was definitely a song about a girl. Instead the song asked the question "Where Are You Now?". Next was a Cuban lullaby which was played for Eddie by his older brother when he was a baby and became a family tradition. Eddy transmitted the emotion to all of us. Changing moods he did a funky version of Juan Pisos "Caravan". Staying with Duke hits he does "Satin Doll". Creatively he fits in about 16 bars of 8 beat boogie-woogie to his rendition. 

An instrumental version of "Autumn In New York" did make me a little homesick although I haven't lived in The Apple for more than 30 years. The street brat lives deep within my being. 

When Eddy does St. James Infirmary he employs tightened lips to produce the sound of a muted trumpet. (sounds like trombone to me). He adds some originality to the lyric as well. "When he announces "Lush Life" I ask if he's playing the tune for me. He follows with "I've Got You Under My Skin" and I wonder if my 'tween tune remarks and questions are troubling him. Eddie closed the set with a song I've never heard before. "I Hope That Someone Gets High". The Florida medical marijuana bill did not pass. 

Eddie, Alex, Ezzio and I traded musician stories with Eddies classic question closing it down. "What do you call a JAZZ musician who doesn't have a girlfriend?" 

HOMELESS!!!!!    

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment