Saturday, November 15, 2014

Doesn't anybody know how to...(If not, Allen Kanovsky will tell you!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/15/14

…spell quintet? The chalkboard in front of Le Chat Noir read "The Silvano Monasterious Trio plus 2". That equals 5. A musical group with 5 members is generally known as a quintet.

Not this band. It is unusual in any number of ways. Spelling can be difficult. Counting is relatively easy. 1 2 3 4 and so on. Musical time signatures are a way of counting the number of beats to the bar. 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 6/8, and even 5/4 as in "Take Five". The trio is Silvano on piano and keyboard, Ron Bavurk (bass) and Rudolfo Zuniga playing drums. The plus 2 are Ray Pena and Jose Gregorio playing every Latin percussion instrument known to modern mankind. I usually name the tunes played. Not tonight. Everything played last night was a Silvano original. Titles did not mean a thing. Neither did time signatures. There were enough layered rhythmic patterns to have you counting by 11's or 15's. Suffice it to say that it was one of the most memorable nights of JAZZ as I have ever heard, "And I've heard a few".

Silvano, from now on will be called "El Maestro". His piano solos are non-pareil in technique, creativity and original thought. Ron also did some incredible solo work including some bowed moments. Anyone who has listened to Rudolfo is familiar with his way of taking a repetitive phrase and changing it slightly in each repetition. It makes you want to pay close attention. Now to Ray and Jose. Wow. These two had as much fun playing as I did listening from Cajon to a trio of elongated bongo type drums called "culo e' puya". During the performance, even Silvano was caught up in the layers of rhythm, doing a little shoulder and hip shaking to the beat. I shared my table with one of South Florida's most talented and beautiful songstress, composers. Eli La O. She collaborates with Silvano on many of her own originals. Silvano has the habit of starting tunes out in a soft, mellow mood. The rhythms intensify and you are swept away on the multiple layers. When I asked 'El Maestro" about time signatures his response was a puzzled look that said "What time signatures" and then the words "Just listen to the music". He left out the word 'stupid in deference to my age. As usual at Le Chat Noir I stayed to the last note. The warmth of the owners, Alexis, Ezio and Gio is conducive to late-night conversation with musicians. Tales of the past and talks of the future --- "On and On, On and On".

Earlier in the day at Ed Bell's live show at WLRN I had the distinct pleasure of listening to another group of five --- quintet. This group was fronted by Allan Harris (vocals/guitar) with the very talented Pascal LeBouef (piano/arranger), Leon Boykins (bass), Jake Goldbase (drums) and the inimitable Jesse Jones Jr on alto sax. Prior to the beginning of the radio broadcast, Allen stood at the mic, with no accompaniment, and delivered a beautiful rendition of "My Foolish Heart". The program had original and standards. JAZZ, BLUES a little bit of rock all done with great 'taste'. Mr. Harris' stage presence and relationship to his audience is 'something else'. Songs like "Fathers Love Your Daughters", "Scared To Know I'm Still In Love With You" and the Gospel flavored "Take Me To the Pilot" were mixed with an emotional singing of "I Remember You" and a swinging "You Make Me Feel So Good". Allan had the audience participate with the word "individual" of the lyric line. The BLUES tune "I Got the Blues and Don't Know How To Lose Them" turned to a 'straight ahead' JAZZ interpretation and had us all clappin' and tappin'. Pascal, Leon and Jake all had impressive solo portions. As to Jesse-----what can I say about him that I haven't said 100 times before. He does it time after time and then again.

I was seated with Deborah and Duane. Dr. Jules and his son (visiting from CA.) were seated a few tables away. Ted Grossman (WLRN 93.1FM) was close by and as usual helpful with song titles. Caught up with Jeannette Pina for a hug and kiss on the cheek before heading back to my pad and a nap to prepare for the night at Le Chat Noir.

Nico Wayne Toussaint at The Fish House in Kendall tonight.     
      

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment