Sunday, October 5, 2014

There are not many things...(And Allen Kanovsky has counted them ALL!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/05/14

...better than good music combined with good friends with the addition of good food and a starlit south Florida night. It all came together last night when Dr. Jules, his beautiful friend Connie and I traveled down to Books & Books to listen to Nanami Irikawa sing with Jaimie Ousley (her fiancee) on bass, Jack Schaunk (drums) and Eliot Cour???? (piano). Both Jack and Eliot are very young and I assume students at UM. Being young did not detract from their individual performances. We arrived just in time to hear her sing the American standard "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To" with a nice scat portion. Next was "I Concentrate On You". Nanami was very definitely in a romantic mood and continued with a waltz "Very Early". A Latin flavor was added with "Someone To Light Up My Life" In Japanese she sang "Sukiyaki". In spite of its flighty title the song is a tragic love song. 

The 2d set started with 2 instrumentals a bop tune and a BLUES. When Nanami took the stage she announced "You Are My Sunshine" She turned the old country tune into a romantic ballad. Beautiful. In the second chorus she did take some chances with the melody. I didn't get the title of the next song as I was engaged in a discussion of a certain Presidential candidates chances of winning. It evolved into a betting situation. Dr. Jules is a Vegan so even if I lose the bet---dinner and a night out---how much can carrot soup, lettuce, tomatoes and a potato cost. Now Ms. Irikawa ventures deeper into the JAZZ world. "OoOoOo What A Little Moonlight Can Do" Up tempo and the 2d chorus solidly scatified. Great piano and drum solos during it. "Ipanema" was next. Done in bossa rhythm but staying solidly with the JAZZ vibe. Jaimie did what Jaimie does with an outstanding bass solo. Up-tempoed "There Will Never Be Another You". Her 'scat' chops are undeniable as Jaimie does another very good solo. The band trades 8's to end the set. Nanami and Jaimie join us in conversation. I feel a raindrop. So do Doc and Connie. We (the Doc) pay up and head for the garage. Not so fast. Jeannette Pina suddenly appears. She got there just in time for the last set and umbrellas. 

I am not a critic nor do I have any formal musical training so take what I write as personal opinion only. I feel the need to talk to Nanami about her approach to the art. Jaimie agreed.--to be continued.   


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment