Monday, October 6, 2014

The night the trumpets blared...(are we talking Jericho here, Allen Kanovsky?)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/06/14

I admit to being partial to trumpets. From Harry James to Dizzy Gillespie. From Bix Beiderbeck to Jon Faddis. I loved them all. As a teen-ager I took some trumpet lessons and played in small groups including a 5 months stint working in a club called "The Pump Room" on Washington Ave in '46/'47.

Last night at BJB's was the night for trumpet players. Not the featured acts but guys who got up to jam or sidemen. It started with Anthony Corrado's jam. On drums, Shea Eischen, at piano Paul Banman, guitar Bob Ullman and Anthony playing everything with a reed or mouthpiece plus guitar and flute. Giving just due to Shea, Paul and Bob, they can play anything in any key or tempo and do it well. Joining in to jam with the band was a trumpet player, Russ Nelson. Russ can blow. Great figures,technique, tone and creativity. Without meaning harm, I have always felt that trumpet was Anthony's weak link. Not last night. Russ inspired Anthony's play to the level that even I could not be critical. Be-bop is special in many ways. Alacrity, both physical and mental are essentials. These assets were on display in this late afternoon session. 


The Latin night featured artist is vocalist Jessi Campo. Jessi has a dynamic group behind her. Ivan Velasquez (drums), Robin Lugo (Congas), Manuel Gamez (piano), Jose Velasquez (bass) and blowing the house away, on trumpet, Carlos Puig. I am sitting with my good pal Bill bemoaning the present lack of dance partners in the house. Suddenly, in answer to a silent prayer Ms. Jackie Deering appears. Not only do I now have a dance partner, I have someone to share crisp french fries with. Bill has consumed his 5th martini and is about to embark on the coffee recovery program.---Okay! The musica! 


The band opens with an instrumental and Manuel's solo is worthy of close attention. The house is now crowded with Latin afficionados. Guys and gals of every age and dimension. Jessi takes the stage and her initial tune is a sad 'bolero' "D'on Solo"(So Alone). Continuing in the romantic mood she sings "Tu Es"(You Are). I start to make 'googoo' eyes at Jackie. She responds, saying "Act your age". At least it's not as bad as a slap in the face. Just before the start of "Con Corizon"(With Heart), Carlos Puig arrives. The band is now complete. I have heard Carlos before, in the same setting. He impressed me then but tonight would turn out to be special. Jessi is an impassioned vocalist. Without passion "Latin" is without 'alma' (soul). She continues the program doing all the Latin rhythms, salsa, merengue, cha-cha, bolero and guaguancoa. I dance with Jackie or should I say she dances with me. Her moves are a lot more pleasant on the eyes than mine. Every song that Jessi does has a solo by Carlos. He is as complete a trumpet player as I have ever heard. The three of us agree that the horn player is exceptional. Jessi does some tunes from the Great American Songbook, all to Latin rhythms. "What A Difference A Day Makes" went from salsa to samba to bossa with a smooth transition to "Ipanema". Jackie and I dance through it all and I drop into my seat, grateful that the band is now going to take a break. The 2d set opens with "Sabor A Me". I think it means you have flavor to me or maybe I like the way you taste or ---The tune moves from Bolero to Cha-cha-cha including again some fantastic trumpeting. Jackie and I are not the only couple dancing. There are others dancing as well. Some of them display the rhytmic pulsations of Latin with foot, hip and shoulder moves. I can't get away from Carlos' solos including one on "Besame Mucho" done salsa style and a lovely ballad "I Want to Love Again". A good looking, mature couple, are up dancing. He is smooth and she follows with grace. While they are dancing, I notice that she closes her eyes. This is a woman in love. No question about it. She is Lisa. He is Lee. They have been together for 20 years. Love's flame has not diminished with the years. The music continued with Jessi doing "Masquerade", the Beatle's "Yesterdays"-latin style and Somos Novis"(It's Impossible). There is a lovely, lithesome young lady sitting next to Jackie. Her shoulder shake. Her hips move on the chair. "Pardon me Miss----" She does and we do. The young lady admits to not having danced much 'salsa'. It makes no difference. She has rhythm and easily falls into the dance. The final set starts with an instrumental, "Autumn Leaves". Each of the band members gets their turn at 'showing off' and again Carlos takes it to new heights. Jessi returns to do "A Sue A" and then "Stormy Weather". She closes with "Que Sas" in cha-cha which morphs into an all-out mambo rhythmed "Oye Como Va". Considering the very inspired trumpet playing tonight, it is a wonder the walls are still intact. 


A'dio amigas y amigos.


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment