Monday, October 13, 2014

Like a hungry lion...(...Allen Kanovsky relies on his pride...)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/12/14

...craves meat, that is how I desire live music. I write about performances by JAZZ & BLUES musicians but I like operas(some), symphonies(most) and the pieces written for ballet. Most of all my want is to experience an outstanding performance. Man o' man, did I get it last night at The Funky Biscuit. The opening act was the Matt Farr Quartet. Matt at the B3 and doing vocals, Craig Stevens on bass, Nate Nash(guitar) and Adam Piccoli at the kit. The first tune was titled "Life Changes" with a featured B3 and guitar solo. Nancy, Jimmy Belize and I all nodded our approval. Piano Bob is in the house and he has a smile on his face, so I gather he likes it as well. Next they did "On My Way Back Home", a kind of stop-time piece that gave Adam a solo portion.  It was followed by a tune (didn't get the title) that had intricate rhythm patterns. A little funk mixed with some straight ahead JAZZ(but what do I know?). A "Police" hit, "Driven To Tears" has Nate delivering an almost hypnotic guitar solo that is masterful. They continue with an original "Young Man". "Stay With Me", "Now I Know", "Put the Load On Me" and "Sneaking Sally in the Alley" conclude their performance. Matt asks "Are You Warmed Up Yet?" The response was a roaring "Yeah!!!"

Martine & Jacques arrive but are going to leave early because they have a date to sky-diving today. Of all the things I have done and wanted to do, jumping out of a plane was never a desire of mine. "Happy Landings".

At times I have defined performances with stars. 5 being the optimum. Well start counting.
 
**************************************************. Did you count 50? If so you are right. Five for each band member and 25 for the band as a whole. They call themselves The New Orleans Suspects and have been together for 5 years. Their natural habitat is The Maple Leaf in NOLA. And you can tell. The first 5 bars of music and there you are. Strolling on Rampart, munching on a begnet.

Every guy on the stand is a Doctor of New Orleans style JAZZ. Let's start with C.R. Gruver at the B3/keyboard and vocals. "Mean" Willie Green sits at the traps, Jake Eckert does the guitar strumming, Reggie Scanlan keeps the beat steady on the bass and blasting, screeching and howling on tenor sax is Mr. Jeff Watkins. If you look at their collective backgrounds you have the entire spectrum of music from symphonic to rock 'n roll. Some original tunes, some standards. Lyrics like "She's three times seven and knows all she needs to know". "See them, rather than be them", "Hangin' on the corner with the Zulu Queens". I am having a 'natural ball". Clappin' tappin' and watching the stand-up crowd in front of the stage shaking their booties. Jeff mounts up and I am back in the day, listening to Illinois Jacquet reaching notes not naturally meant for tenor sax. Jeff has the audience in his grasp and does not let go. C.R. does some B3. Earns 5 stars. Jake scrambles some guitar notes. Another 5 stars. Reggie is nodding and strumming a steady rhythm. Yep 5 stars. Behind them all, Mr. 'Mean' Willie Green himself. UhOh! If you want to hear some drumming then I know the man. Oh Yeah. 5 stars---plus. If the preceding doesn't get you off your--- and out listening to live music then I leave you with a lyric line from one of their tunes---

"listen to what my Momma said, 
You only got yourself to blame

If you do the walk of shame" 

 
Thanks to all the "Suspects". Good night, Y'all!!!! 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment