Monday, October 20, 2014

Life can really be...(And Allen Kanovsky is riding it for all its worth!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/20/14

...a thill ride. Especially when you go through it with your arms open to the world. Even more so if your world consists of going out most nights to listen to live music. Last night provided a classic example of that. 

It started out smoothly. Rita Wilburn appearing at the Ginger Bay Cafe on Hollywood Blvd. A benefit event for the Battle Against Breast Cancer. I even wore a pink shirt. The band was Eric & the Jazzers. Eric Trouillot formed the band but doesn't play with it ----?????----- Band members included Ken Burkhart (keyboards), Cornelius Johnson (tenor/flute), Sergio (bass), Jose (drums) and Manny (congas). 

I was meeting my buddy Bill who is a fellow Rita fan. The musicians played great. Unfortunately the sound s---s! It didn't stop Ken, Cornelius and the rest of the band from delivering on their solo portions. Rita took the stage (I really do love tall girls) and opened with "All Of Me". She took chances with both the melody and rhythm displaying her JAZZ chops. Ken and Jose provided ample support. "Summertime" had Rita 'taking it to church' with Cornelius' flute solo a welcome addition. She closed her set with a bouncy "Stormy Monday". Cornelius stretched the tenor scale to way above the scale. 

Sadly, Bill & I could not abide the sound system and agreed to meet at BJBs for Latin night. 

And so the roller coaster gets to the top ready to start the excitement. The band is Ranses Colon (bass) and his Latin Quintet. Ranses is a master musician having been musical director for both Celia Cruz and Cachao. On the stand with him are Luz Giminez (vocals), Manuel Gamel (piano), Paul Rabud (drums) Jose Olivera (Tenor/soprano) and Ismael Chavez (congas/vocals). 

They opened with a classic latin tune titled "Peanut Vendor". The 'clave' rhythm is aimed directly at my alma and it hits its mark. Martine & Jacques have arrived. When I watch them dance it provides me with infinite pleasure. Angelo manages the band and his son and daughter-in-law are in the audience. The band runs through the entire litany of Latin rhythms and melodies and couples are dancing all the way. I can control myself no longer and ask Angelo's daughter-in-law to dance. Her name is Damaris Nightingale. The girl knows what to shake and I really enjoyed dancing with her. An added delight is her smile. She smiles with her entire face. Eyes, cheeks even her forehead all light up. Additionally (talk about thrill rides) when was the last time anyone of you danced with a 'witch'. Well maybe not a witch but her card reads "Master Alchemist".------'bubble,bubble, toil and trouble'-----. She and her husband conjure up fragrances, potions and lotions that will free your soul and heal your body, heart and mind. Damaris gave M&J a sample of a lotion that would enhance the romance of their marriage. 

Back to the music. Although I didn't know the tune titles it didn't lessen the thrill of listening to very talented musicians. The music traveled from South America to the Carribean and even to New Yorico. The last tune was to a 'guaguancoa' beat. The loose translation of guaguancoa is "Freedom". Viva  ooh  ess ay. 

Tonight I will be at the restart of the MJC's Rent Party series at the Open Stage in Coral Gables.  


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment