Friday, October 31, 2014

Did you ever try...(And you did, didn't you, Allen Kanovsky?)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/31/14

...to gift wrap an unboxed hat? It is a challenging
feat. I did it, somewhat successfully, and headed for The Fish House for Georgine's Birthday Party. 

If you are gonna have a party, you need music and music was at The Fish House in the persons of Motel Mel (keys), Darrell Raines (guitar/vocals), George Caldwell (bass), Mike Wainright (Flugelhorn/ Trumpet/ Tenor Sax/ Vocals/ Keys), Bill Clark (percussion/harp) and Robin Roberts at the trap set.

With me are Elaine Porteous, Bill Rutan, and Jim. Jackie Deering will show up a little later, flying in from Guatemala to join the festivities. Motel Mel opens with "Hooooo-hoooo" a ghostly BLUES. There are people in costume. Mostly gals. Barbara is dressed as Amy Winehouse. Other gals are Leopards, Pussy Cats, Dead Monsters, Pirates etc. I was dressed like me. Some gals said it was very original for me to come as a homeless person. 

The first number let everyone show-off. Great trumpet solo. George doing his funkiest best. Darrell being Darrell. JAZZ pianist Mike Gerber was in the house. Motel Mel must know thousands of BLUES, most of which I've never heard. They did one called "Born In the Middle of Tobacco Road" with Mel singing the lyric. Mike was next on vocals with "Let Her Go" and Bill has a shot at showing his harp chops. Angela (Fish House prop.) is in a red cape, crown and has a fairy Queens wand. She is casting spells all over the joint. I think the touch of her wand and G-ds grace gave me the good health news I received this morning. 

Lots of musicians and vocalists were there to jam and celebrate with Georgine. Steve Kirkland (tenor sax), Myocea (vocals), Bebe (vocals) Liber Lammes (bongos), Rudy drums), Alec (harp), Ben Suarez (guitar) and others. When Darrell sang a BLUES, every gal in the house was up and shaking something or other. I especially like watching the 'other'. Mel is playing the melodian and continues when Darrell does "I Believe My time Ain't Long". The music ended with "Stand By Me" and everyone on stage just 'blowin'. 

Happy Birthday, Georgine. I hope the hat fits..and if so, "you can leave your hat on"!
  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment