Thursday, October 9, 2014

An evening,...(Allen Kanovsky takes in a new jazz venue and a regular)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/09/14

....most pleasurable. 

It started with my driving to a new live music venue named Cafe Vico. It is located in a non-descript center directly behind an I-Hop. Decor, kind of rustic Italian, multiple dining rooms. The music is in the bar. On stage is Clarence Palmer (B3/vocals), alongside is Jim Adle (tenor&soprano sax), George Candy (piano) and on drums James Cotman who often plays with Melton Mustafa and Jesse Jones Jr. 

As I am being seated they are playing "Come Rain or Come Shine". Nice style, nice solo riffs by all but most of all it is JAZZ. Uncluttered, straight ahead JAZZ. Then a bop tune and when it concludes with 4's being traded, I know I am going to enjoy myself. In the house are Denise with a friend, Isabel will dance with a guy she meets at the bar and Ms. Jackie Deering will show up so all of us will dance the night away. 

From the film Black Orpheus they do "A Day In the Life of a Fool". The Brazilian title has a completely different meaning (Morning of Carnevale). Clarence sings "The Way We Were" with Jim now playing soprano. Tom Willis is invited up to sing and he opens with "Just the Way You Are". He does "That's All" and then a swinging "Girl From Ipanema". His voice and style are a mixture of an early Joe Williams and the very mellow Johnny Hartman. Tom continues with JAZZ standards "Ain't Misbehaving" and "It Had To Be You". Remembering the influence that Elvis had the do "Love Me Tender". They end the set with "Sweet Georgia Brown" The irrepressible Denise Shuster can't control herself and is up doing a solo "Charleston". 

Clarence and George trade keyboards to open the 2d set and the tune is "One Note Samba". Jim adds a notable tenor solo. I am thinking how much Joabim contributed to American music. Tom returns to the stage and sings "The Very Thought of You", "Teach Me Tonight" and "You'll Never Know". Clarence now playing piano plays and sings "She's Everything To Me". The set ends with "Autumn Leaves" done in a break-neck 4/4 tempo. 

The food was good. The house pinot-grigio was very good and the band was great.

Off to Blue Jeans Blues to catch the final notes with Joe Donato and Danny (the brushmeister) Burger. At piano is Brian Murphy and on bass Don Coffman. Jackie meets me there. Joe is on stage playing, of all things, a harmonica. Now, playing harp, requires a completely different skill than something with a reed. The harmonica has 32 reeds and you need a very talented tongue. Joe elects to sing???? "Teach Me Tonight". The only positive things I can say about Joe's vocal attributes is that he keeps trying and can sell a song. Actually it isn't 1/2 bad. Unfortunately it is only 1/2 good.. 

Thank the Lord that Yussel (He calls me Alfredo) takes my critique in good humor and has cancelled the "hit' on me. "New York, New York" sounds a little better and when asking for requests, Jackie, at my suggestion, asks for "C-Jam BLUES". The tune was written by Duke Ellington. I don't think Joe knew that I knew he had written a lyric for it called "Duke's Place". Of course if you write a lyric you get to sing it. Joe is now in vocal mode. He does another Ellington composition that is unknown to most. The title is "Sweet Azalia". Joe sings again. This one you can blame on the tune. Very intricate chromatics. Things pick back up with "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans and concludes with a rousing "I Got Rhythm". Clarence Palmer and Tom Willis have come in to catch the last few notes.

Joe's really good friend Joe is in the house. I haven't seen him in quite a while and we get to renew our friendship. I sit down to chat with Joe D. and thank him for calling off the hit. He says "My people will talk to your people". If you have ever been to Lodi N.J. you know that statement has a very special meaning.When I get home and step out of my car I look around to make sure no one has followed me!!!!!!!  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment