Thursday, September 18, 2014

"of all the gals I've known..." (Allen Kanovsky must have an accountant to keep track of them all...)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 09/18/14

...and  I've known some", is a lyric line from an old Yiddish song "Ba Meir Bist Du Schoen" whose English version was a hit in the late 30's. My mother was an olive skinned masterpiece, two older sisters who could have been pin-ups, 2 attractive wives, a gorgeous daughter, 3 equally beautiful granddaughters, 2 or 3 what might be considered serious relationships with very pretty women and lots of ladies as friends. It took me 82 years to find one that's almost perfect. Ba meir bist du schoen --- to me, you are good looking. Not only pretty but good. The bad news is she celebrated a birthday yesterday---maybe 23 or 24. I've got shirts, socks and granddaughters older than that. Her name is Shannon. Pretty as a penny. Petite as a mini-poodle. Sweet as sugar fresh from a cane field- and as nice a person as anyone would want to know.
  Happy Birthday
Shannon is a server at Blue Jeans Blues. I was there to help celebrate her birthday. An added pleasure was to listen to Randi the Violinist and the Blue Fire Band. The lead guitar and vocals is Nicky Cucunato. On bass & vocals John Zack. Drums Jeff Lapore. On Yamaha & Nord plus vocals Michael Waxman. As you know, I love music---of almost every genre. The electronics used to enhance sound doesn't bother me when the performances are live. The problem is some of the equipment is so large and complex that the musicians find it hard to find a place on the stage.

They played 2 long sets during which everyone had a featured tune. The opener was "Sissy Strut" and I immediately knew I was going to enjoy listening to this band. Technique and musicianship from every member. The play list had it all. BLUES, JAZZ, the bastard child Rock n' Roll, Funk, Soul and even a bit of Klezmer. From New Orleans to Romania, Memphis to Tel Aviv. Tunes titled Gypsy, Baker St., Pride & Joy,Sweet Home Chicago, 'til yer Gone and about 20 more. It was a heck of a night for live music------and a heck of a party for a young lady who deserved it. Good musicians providing great music-----Thank You Randi and the Blue Fire Band. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment