Monday, September 8, 2014

I'mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...(Allen Kanovsky is back in the game...)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 09/08/14

...back!!!!! After a few days of musical hiatus, this cat (read-old dog) pulled himself together and got 'out the house'. I was drawn by the promise of clave. Latin night on 33d St. in Ft. Lauderdale. The band was the Latin Quartet. Sometimes there are 5 members or 6. They still call themselves the "Latin Quartet" That is due to the quirky, but good nature of Tom Regis (keyboards) the leader. With Tom last night were Nelson Colon (congas), Orlando Machado (drums) and the, reborn in Puerto Rico, Freddy Jacobs on trumpet. With me were photog (see picture above) Jimmy Belize, his gal pal Nancy, Babette (a gal I wish I knew 40 years ago), the wonderful dancers Martine & Jacques and a couple of tables with shoulder shaking ladies. The band wasted no time in getting the audience happy and clappin'. The opening Tom original "Funky Sunday" was all that it implied---funky--a bit of church -- and an underlying Latin rhytyhm. Freddy wasted no time and blasted a great solo. Nelson was not to be outdone and if you have heard Orlando before you know he will rise to any occasion. The next tune was straight ahead salsa. Pok--pokpok--pokpok. Who can stay in there seat? Not I. Nearby a trio of ladies are seated. Silvia is agreeable and so we are on the floor. Silvia is in a shimmery top and shorts. Rest assured that she know how to shake every bone in that 5' frame. The tune was "Como Fues" (I think) and Nelson did the vocal. There is no respite from the intensity of the music when they do a song having to do with "Sucare"( either 'sugar' or 'I love you'.) During his solo Freddy quotes "Battle of Jericho". Thank heavens no wall came tumbling down. They follow with a "Meringue. Nancy likes dancing as much as I do and so we follow the call. The band is going to play all the Latin dance rhythms and so "Cha-Cha-Cha" is next, "Paso Lo Que Rico" and another of the trio, Roxelen is my new partner. The circuit wouldn't be complete without 'Bossa Nova'. The tune of course "Girl From Ipanema". Freddy quotes "A-Train" and I wonder how far it is from the beach at Copacabana to the Harlem train station. Another Tom original "This Kind of Thing" starts out as a ballad with a back-beat. It transits to a salsa rhythm. Orlando is showing off his Latin chops and then Tom, playing 2 keyboards, puts us all in an exotic mood. During this song 2 couples got up to shake everything there was to shake. The 2d set opened with a salsified "Watermelon Man", There is a tall woman seated nearby. She is shaking her shoulders in time. You know me and tall girls, especially shoulder shakers. Uh-huh, "Pardon me miss----". Her tablemates encourage her and we are on the floor. Her name is Willa Lareche. The girl likes to dance and shows it. Nelson sings a bolero which puts every one in a romantic mood. Freddy bops the tune with his solo and now we are at full-out salsa rhythm. The next tune brings back 'meringue. Nancy and I do it again along with some other couples. I admit that I like meringue, especially 'cause one leg is slightly shorter than the other giving me a natural advantage. The 3d set started with a Noro Morales composition, "Mambo Del Coco". I venture 1/2 a chorus with Martine and Jacques steps in. My oh my, can they dance. Next is "My Funny Valentine" which Nelson sings in Spanish and Tom in English. It is Bret's (BJB mgr) birthday and the appropriate song is played Tito Puente style. They play a long third set including bop, funk, meringue, mambo and closing with a tune titled "Chickens" or "Macarena de Gallinas", During the evening Nelson has done numerous 'coro's'. Improvised connective vocal phrases. It is peculiar to Puerto Rican & Cuban music and can be heard on almost every vocal recording of the past. I had a great time. Thanks to all my willing partners and most of all Thank You Tom, Nelson, Orlando and Freddy for a great night of MUSICA. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment