Tuesday, September 23, 2014

How would you...(We wouldn't Allen Kanovsky - we will leave that up to you!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 09/23/14

...describe a BLUES jam session? Musicians gathering to play with each other in an amorphous fusion of sound and fury. That's how would define it. 

Monday night at The Funky Biscuit in Boca is BLUES jam time. ---- ---esca (bass/vocals) is the host with the house band including Drew Preston (guitar), George Allen Gibbs (guitar), Anthony Livota (drums) and Colin James at the B3. I will explain the hyphens later on. They opened with Mark singing "Do Me Like You Do" with Drew and Colin having featured solos. They opened with a ---esca original, "Stand My Ground". It is a lively shuffle and George loves the tempo. Aaron Lebos(guitar) joins Jimmy Belize, Nancy and I at our table. Aaron says that he has taken an interest in the South Florida BLUES scene. He is a noted local JAZZ artist. Mark switches with Ken Bergner at bass and Drew gets his choice of tunes. He chooses to sing and play "I Don't Know What I'd Do". George's solo is something to hear and Colin follows suit. Ian now joins the band on drums and Drew continues with "Love the One You're With". They all sound great and I am lovin' it. J.L Fulks (guitar), Tony Monaco (B3) and 'One Night' Stan Waldman (tenor sax) come aboard. J.L. opens this portion with "They Call Me the Breeze". I haven't seen or listened to "One Night Stan' in a while and it was good to see and hear him. "Heading Back To Memphis" and everyone gets a chance to show off their BLUES chops. When J.L. does "Black Cat Bone", Stan's solo is straight 'bar walkin'' style---oh man! The personnel changes with Chris at the B3, Manon at keys, Chuck Fiore (bass), Thomas Hall (drums) and Aaron Lebos (guitar). Montres (the soul singer) takes the mic to do "The Thrill Is Gone"  and then "Ain't No Sunshine". The 'M' man shakes his shoulders, moves his hands and does rhythmic knee bends. The only thing not included is the knee drop. 

Now, the super treat of the night. 'Sista' MaryBeth is joined by Jeff Prine (guitar), Brad Miller (bass), Raul Valdes (drums), Chris Miller (B3), Drew and Manon stay on stage. Sista opens with "I Love My Baby". Over the years I have teased Jeff about his predictability. Not tonight. His solo is imaginative and original. I will have to choose someone else to pick on.Again 'One Night' blows me into BLUES paradise and Drew keeps me there. Bobby and JoAnn Nathan have arrived just in time to catch this. Mary Beth sings a slow BLUES, "Fallin". I have heard her many times in the last 6 or 7 ears. I have never heard her like she was tonight. I can only describe it as REAL. For her final song she opts for the classic "Chain,Chain, Chain" and it was just right. Impassioned play by everyone on stage. Tough act to follow but Bobby and JoAnn Nathan are up to the task. Anthony returns to the drums. Jerome Degey(guitar) joins Jeff on stage with JoAnn playing keys and B3. Richie Goldman takes over on bass. Bobby opens with the old BLUES tune "It Hurts Me Too" followed by "Baby What You Gonna Do". They've got us all 'clappin' and tappin'. Jeef and Jerome add to the excitement and JoAnn knows keyboard. Stan can't resist and gets back on stage to join in this BLUES riot. They are rockin' when they do "If You Love Me Like You Say" and "I'm Cool, I Know the Rules". Rob Peterson takes over on bass, Steve Smith(guitar) when Mark returns to the stage with Mark, Robet and Bobby moving over to the B3. They do Muddy Waters "You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone". Robert has borrowed Jeff's "Les Paul' and does great with it during his solo portion on "Black Night Is Callin'". Jerome carries it even to greater heights. Colin is back on B3 when Robert Alan Gibbs delivers the best solo of this outstanding night. 

Jaqi is in the house. He is wearing a deep turquoise print skirt with a pink tank and white overblouse. His shoes are day-glo pink and JoAnn wants to know where she can get a pair. Jaqi does "Midnight Special" accompanied by Jeff, Jerome, Manon, Colin and Anthony. A groovin' end to a special night of MUSIC. Chatted with some of the musicians after the show and came to find out that Jeff Prine gave Mark his first gig when Mark first came to FL. About the hyphens. When  I asked Mark about maybe doing some promotions via JAZZBLUES Florida. He said "Charlie and I have been friends for years"---------------some pal.        

T E L 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment