Monday, August 4, 2014

You don't often find...(Allen Kanovsky far away from the music!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/04/14

...a parking spot in front of your destination when it's raining. I did. 

Less often do you park at the same time as a favorite dance partner. I did. Even less often than that, is the gal (lady-woman) transporting a magnificent chocolate/ pecan cake.  She was. The she was Ms. Jackie Deering, a flight attendant for American Airlines (International). We were both here in front of BJB's to celebrate the birthday of another favorite dance partner Ms. Denise Shuster. We would be joined by a host of friends and other dance partners of both of these pretty and charming ladies. --Yeah, yeah! The music. 

Anthony Corrado (243 ass't. instruments) was finishing up his jam set with Paul Banman on piano and Shay Eischen at the drum set. Denise arrives with her own birthday cake. Jimmy Belize and Nancy come in at the same time. Bill is already there, working on his 3d or 4th martini. When Anthony spots Jackie he makes his way to our table and plays a solo solely for her. The first time I had seen Jackie she was talking with Anthony. It was easy to tempt her my way. FRENCH FRIES. I probably know 699 of the 700 opening lines but this time an edible played a role. 

Back to the music. They run through Anthony's repertoire including "Malaguena", "When A Man Loves A Woman" and "Que Sas". I take full advantage dancing with both Jackie and Denise. They are nice to look at and even nicer to hold in your arms. BJBs had promoted the evening as Latin Night. Man O' man was it Latin. Mambo, marengue, cha-cha, guaguancoa, samba, salsa, cumbia and every rhythm from the Carribean and south of the equator. And the band ---holy mackerel! Tom Regis playing both a Yamaha MO6 and RD700 Roland plus vocals, Emilio Valenzuela (drums), Nelson Colon (congas/vocals) and Freddy Jacobs (trumpet) - Freddy is from the section of Puerto Rico better known as The Bronx. The band oddly enough is named the Latin Quartet.  Let me say the last time I heard as authentic Latin Rhythms was at the Palladium Ballroom (circa 1949). 

This night would be filled with fun, cake, dancing, cake, friendship, cake, new friends (Jackies pal Barbara) and Rico Morales (he danced with the ladies too). The music was so compelling, the clave rhythms so intense that it was impossible for me to sit down. When I did, I enjoyed many of the ladies in the house shaking their appropriate body parts. Sr. Nelson Colon is an impassioned congero and he pushes this band to its ultimate heights. Tom Regis (who is a BLUES artist as well) has the 'alma' of a Latin and it shows in his play and his voice. There is no other drummer like Emilio Valenzuela. I have heard Freddy with assorted JAZZ groups around town. I have never heard him better than he was last night. They played a full 3 sets ending at midnight. Jackie, Rico, the band, the staff and I were the only ones in the house at midnight. Rico, Jackie and I danced all the way. Three folks walked in and pleaded fror one more. The band obliged by playing an original Regis melody "I Wish I Was There". During the course of the second set, Tom intoned a funky "Going To Kansas City". Boog-a-loo invasion. Talk about booty shaking. I was as close to having a stroke as one could get without succumbing. 

Tom had been kind enough to announce tune names but if I were to  include them I would be late for the Jam at the Funky Biscuit tonight. Suffice it say, the evening was one of the highlights of my 2014 and as good a birthday party that a girl could have.

Added note: I thank the Lord for giving me the life I lead. With good music, good friends and vivacious dance partners. Amen

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment