Monday, August 25, 2014

There's a first time... (If you have an open mind to music, like JP Soars and Allen Kanovsky, there are sure to be plenty of them!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/25/14

...for everything. I'll spell it out a little later. First I want to tell about JP Soars & The Red Hots on 33rd Street in Fort Lauderdale last night. J.P. has added A.J Kelly (bass) to the band. A.J. proved to be a very positive force. Chris Peet was playing drums and the talented Steve Laudicina was the other guitar. JP's performances always pay homage to BLUES musicians of the past as well as his latest originals. They started last night's music with T-Bone Walkers "Natural Ball", a nice, easy shuffle. Muddy Waters' "Deep Down in Florida". JP does the vocal and Steve delivers a dreamy Delta style solo. Anyone who listens to JP recognizes the Gypsy influence. His original "The Viper" is done in the rhythm of a Hungarian Czardas and is reminiscent of the theme of the film "The Third Man". "Missin' Your Kissin'" is a jump BLUES and it gets everyone clappin' & tappin'. 'Reverend Guy' wrote "CoCaine". It is a drag BLUES and perfect for doing the "Fish". 

And so back to the beginning. A young lady sitted in my line of sight, was moving her shoulders in a way that usually indicates a dancer. I took another sip of courage and ventured forth. "Pardon me miss, would you like to dance". She smiled and offered her hand. I helped her out of her seat and put my around her. She started to shake like a puppet in the hands of a master afflicted with a severe case of the shakes. I softly suggested that she sit back down. "No. I want to dance with you". I made my escape. Like I said, "There's a first time for everything".

"St. Louis Blues" was the tune and The Red Hots employed a couple of different rhythm patterns that made interesting listening. I was at a table with Jimmy and Nancy when Dave (cat in the hat) came by with a 'new one' to say "Hi". A little Rock 'n Roll ended the set. Again remembering the past JP sings Guitar Slims "Letter To My Girl Friend" in a nice shuffle tempo. The New Orleans sound is here when they do "That's Why We Play the BLUES" during which JP does a 5* solo and A.J. is steady and steaming. The band takes it way down as JP sings "Ain't No-------What She Do". "More Bees with Honey and "The Way We Like it in the Land of Sunshine" are done with a strong backbeat delivered by Chris. JP picks up his home-made 2 string cigar box to do "One Night In Memphis When I heard You Call My Name". The next tune is kind of country and Steve makes me think he was born and raised in the hills of Kentucky or West Virginia.. There's a repetetive riff to which I sing (to myself) 'with a moo-moo here and a moo-moo there'. Having a little fun the band does "Chasing Whiskey With Whiskey". It comes to the time when the females in the audience can no longer control the rhythm in their souls. They are out of the chairs, off the bar stools and shaking their stuff when JP sings "Keep Your Nose Out Of My Business". The tune has a line to live by "Ain't got nothing good to say, don't say nothing at all." Every guy who has suffered a broken heart knows the song titled "Baby, Where Did You Sleep Last Night". It is a rock-a-billy tune and now I'm positive Steve is a country boy. "They play a song "The Same Thing" and A.J. shows why he is known as a bass player's bass player. 

Joey Gilmore steps up to the stage. With him is Scott Price (harp) just in from Montana and Andy G (drums). Joey opens with "Tell Me What Is Wrong With Me.". The audience is appreciative and shows it. They play an unnamed boogie and everyone takes a long solo. Fun and smiles all around the house. Michael Baskin replaces Steve and they do "Will it Go Round In Circles". Scott makes his harmonica sound almost like a horn and quotes "Merrily We Roll Along". A song I have never heard before--" I Got A song, It Ain't Got No Melody" makes me pay close attention. 

The evening closes down with "Spoonful" and Joey has us join in on the closing lines---"spoonful" (music) "spoonful" (music) "spoonful". 

I said "g'night and Thank you. I wonder when I'll have another "first time".



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment