Saturday, August 23, 2014

There came a time in my life...(And Allan Kanovsky had the time of his life at JAZZIZ Nightlife!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/22/14

...when Woody  Herman's "Blue Flame" was replaced at the top of my music list by Tito Puente's "Oye Como Va". When Celia Cruz was my 'reina' as opposed to Sarah Vaughan being my queen. It was my teen years when 'clave' injected itself into my soul. Lots of years have past. JAZZ and BLUES have undergone many changes. The beats of the Carribean and Sur America remain, pretty much, the same. Last night at JAZZIZ Nightlife in Boca Raton I had the distinct privilege of listening to Nestor Torres. It is a rare occasion that I have to consult a Thesaurus to find enough superlatives to describe this flautists performance. I could say "incredible" and not be close. "Fantastic" an understatement. "Impressive" would have to be in headline type. With Nestor were Jose L. Sosa on keyboards, Chico Suarez playing bass, Ray Monroig at the kit and Edwin Bonilla latin percussion. If I do not get the titles right, for the tunes that were played blame it on the fact that Nestor is a PuertoRiqueno. Everyone should know that people of that heritage speak Spanish at a pace three or four times as those of Cuban descent. Many in the audience share Nestor's heritage. The first couple of tunes were heavy with American back-beat. The second was a beautiful romantic ballad titled "Con Tiga". The band settles in to a traditional 'mambo' rhythm "Mambo Sin----". Bobby Rodriguez is an appreciative audience member. "Dreaming of Puerto Rico" has Chico delivering a bass solo reminiscent of the master, Cachao. Speaking of masters, Nestor Torres is a maestro, a professore, technically perfect, with tone that is beyond belief. Imagination and creativity pervade every solo. They play a tune, "Carribean Romance" that is not quite a 'bolero' but gives Nestor the opportunity to display his alacrity. "Cafe Con Leche" is the kind of tune that builds in excitement.

"Luga????" was next with a complex solo by Senor Sosa. The tune morphs in to "Cumbachero". Nestor asks the audience to join in a 'call&response' session. There is a dynamite conga solo by Edwin that has us all on our feet. A 'bolero' follows so that a sense of calm returns. Slowly the bolero moves to 'salsa' rhythm. 

A woman, dressed in a becoming black and white dress is seated nearby. Her shoulders are shaking, her hands clapping. "Pardon me, miss. Would you like to dance?" The charming woman extends a hand and says "Yes". We do. She can dance. Her name is Marilyn Ricot and she was born in Haiti. I wondered but didn't ask where the New York accent came from.

Nestor and the band conclude the show with a show-stopping "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". The band has been on stage for 2 hours. How do you say "Superman" in Spanish. This was the initial event of which will become an ongoing Latin night at JAZZIZ. To all the musicians who performed and especially to Nestor------Mucho Gracias para musica!!!!! and Thanks to my pal, Dr. Jules Oaklander for providing the transport and being good company

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment