Monday, August 18, 2014

There are some things in life...(And Allen Kanovsky has tried a lot of things!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/17/14

...that I enjoy more than others. Topping the list of pleasures is, of course, observing beautiful, vivacious women, a close 2d is live JAZZ and BLUES, running 3d(show) is watching young musicians grow and blossom. Because I live in South Florida I am afforded the opportunity to do all. Sometimes simaltaneously. 

Last night my driver arrived, on time, in the persons of Mr. & Mrs. Susan & Mike Stocker. Our destination, Books & Books on Aragon Ave. in Coral Gables. The occasion, an appearance by their son Ben (tenor sax) along with Max Boyko (trumpet), Zachary Auslander (guitar), Zachary Mckinney (drums) and Chris Mills (bass). These young men will all start college this fall and are graduates of the Dillard Center for the Arts. Michigan State, Berklee, Manhattan and UM have all offered scholarships. Let's start a few years back. 

Flo & I were habitues at the Fish House in Kendall for their Wednesday Night BLUES Jam hosted by Papa Joe. A skinny kid with an alto sax hanging heavily from his neck would jam with the band, taking hints from Papa Joe and Darryl Raines. He listened and learned. On his Bar Mitzvah date(13th birthday) the Fish House made him the featured artist. Long story short----years go by----the stage is now Lincoln Center in NYC. The Ellington competition---Ben Stocker takes center stage in front of the DCA JAZZ Orchestra to do a featured solo. I was there. For me the thrill of a lifetime. I can only imagine what it was for Ben, Susan and Mike. 

Last night was my first visit to Books & Books. I will definitely return. A lovely outdoor courtyard surrounded by a store full of wonderful books and photographs, Nice menu and wine list, but best of all are their presentations of JAZZ. The venue was crowded with friends, parents, teachers, photographers and JAZZophiles. None were disappointed. The music had already started when Susan, Mike and I arrived and seated with us is a young woman, Emily. She had been Ben's music teacher in middle school. She noted that Ben was well ahead of all the others even then. 
 

 The program ran the gamut of JAZZ at its best. From "Green Dolphin St" to "Blue Monk". "Confirmation" to "Night and Day". "Perdido", "A Train" and "There Will Never Be Another You". Straight ahead, swing, be-bop and a liitle of the BLUES all done with taste and talent. Kim Morton (trombone) joined in on several of the tunes. Every solo was a breath of fresh air and the 'kids' were having fun while the tip jar filled. I think Zach Auslander was having the most fun as he 'goofed' behind Ben and Max while producing long phrased creative solos. This was no 'kid band'. Mature JAZZ musicians, playing to a knowledgeable audience and hittin the mark. They would play 'til way after 11:30(started at 7:30) with Max coming alive after the bells tolled 11. Muting his trumpet he deliverd a true Max Boyko solo on "Satin Doll".. This puts Ben in a mellow mood and I am thinking of the Ellington band way back then. Bens solo induces Max to continue in soft, sweet, phrases that are like a boy talking a girl into--------. Most of the audience is still there when the band does its last couple of boppish tunes. Parker, Coletrane, Dizzy's influence is apparent. Zach is still having fun. McKinney gets a chance to show off. And he does. Chris has done a super job all night and also gets a chance at a 'chops' display. As we are leaving, Susan, Mike and I are surrounded by the press. Reporters, photographers, columnists, editors-----I am introduced to a crime reporter for the Sun Sentinel. Tonya Alanez. She is stunning and her smile has me almost at a loss for words.(That would be an accomplishment). At this moment I am planning a series of stick-ups, burglaries and general mayhem. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment