Saturday, August 9, 2014

I know lots of folks...(You could be ending that sentence right there and be doing OK, Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/09/14

...who wish they were like me in relation to the way most of my nights are spent. Most of the time they are right in their quest of emulation. Last night was a prime example --- the venues were the Bass Museum of Art (Miami Beach), 7-9pm, followed by Le Chat Noir (Miami) 10-1. 

At the museum we had Pete Wallace (piano) in front of the band with Eric England (bass), Tom McCormick (Tenor/ soprano/ flute), John Lovett (trumpet/ flugelhorn/ hand percussion) and Mike Piolet on drums. Usually I hear Pete and Tom backing Nicole Henry. As it happens they have just returned from Japan doing that very thing. I mentioned to Pete that this would be the first time I would hear him as himself. He hoped I would not be disappointed. I was not. Most of what they presented were Pete's original compositions. Appreciating his pianist skill is easy but I have to admit that fades in comparison to his creative and imaginative original compositions. 

I asked to join an already seated couple and they greeted me warmly. She is Esperanza Gonzalez (physical rehab). He, Dr. David Kadko (Associate Director of Research at F.I.U.). Both are JAZZophiles and were very appreciative of the performance. 

To give you an idea of how diverse the music was, we heard a little bop, some bolero, complex rhythmic and melodic lines, soprano and flugelhorn solos, time signatures including 7s, intros such as "Happy Trails", the Jaws theme and a hand-held rhythm instrument known as cixixi (pronounced seesheshe). Prior to the break Ferando Ulibarri joined the band to accompany Samantha Natalie singing "You Are the One Sure Thing". Ms. Natalie has great range and true tone. Eric has had his haircut (in Japan?) and still plays that upright like it's his partner in love. Both Tom and John delivered terrific be-bop phrases and triplets. Mike Piolet is a drum conversationalist. He speaks to and for every band member in his sensitivity. 

To say I enjoyed the music and company would be an understatement-----I had a BALL. Thanks to all.

You want to be me? Okay. Get back in the car, over the causeway to Miami and park up the street from Le Chat Noir. Why? How about Aaron Lebos (guitar) with Josh Allen (bass) and Arvel Natundi at the kit. Often, Aaron's play is usually described by me as "The Music For The Day After Tomorrow" . Not so tonight. The performance was laced with JAZZ and American Songbook standards. An easy going but lively performance. No guitar pedals in sight gave the audience an opportunity to hear how accomplished Aaron really is. No electronic enhancement. A talented musician playing what he feels and the audience hearing every nuance of emotion. Josh feeds off of Aaron's enthusiasm and delivers super solo after super solo. Personally, I felt that Arvel was a little too enthusiastic. He is a very creative drummer and keeps perfect time. Maybe it was me. Maybe he needed more band or horns. Again, I do not have the creds to write critiques.


Thanks to Bass Museum. Thanks to Le Chat Noir. Thanks to all the musicians who played for me tonight. Most of all Thanks to G-d for giving me the life I lead.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment