Friday, August 1, 2014

Every cloud has a (... some music happening, somewhere, under it. Right, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/01/14

...cadenza or arpeggio somewhere in its moist folds. 
Thursday night was one of those warm, humid summer nights. Storm clouds gathered. Thunder rumbled and everyone I know was staying home or enjoying lobsters caught that day. I'm singing to myself----"I'm just a lonely boy --- wait a sec... 

Eddy Balzola is having a Thursday Jam at Le Chat Noir. I heard Eddy and Ezio on the Real Tracy Fields show the other night. Le Chat Noir. Cordial and hospitable owners, Alec, Gio and Ezio. Eddy, the musician I named "El Gato Fresca". Great wine list and good food. So what if I'm by myself.


I wouldn't be lonely for long --- later for that. Eddy started the program playing solo acoustic guitar. His first selection was "Lush Life". Why do musicians look me straight in the eye when they play that tune. Eddy's version is especially soulful. Then he sang "Summertime" and now I am totally mellowed out. "Michelle, Ma Belle", "I've Got You Under My Skin", ""Manana Carneval" and "Georgia" makes me realize once again how cool a cat Eddy really is. He plays honor to Jocko Pastorius when he plays "3 Views of a Secret" which is evidence of the genius Jocko was. Eddy finishes his solo set with "April In New York". I don't think there's a bone left in my body. Mellow as a marshmallow. Glass of spectacular, well chilled white wine. Panini sandwich in hand and mouth. I am just on my last bite when out of the cellar entrance appears a vision. Can it be? I shake my head and rub my eyes. It is. It really is. The 'REAL TRACY FIELDS'. Wait a minute. I tune in her show on my phone. Two places at once. The wonder of our electronic age. Is this a virtual vision or is it really the REAL. 

She joins me and between songs we have an interesting conversation about JAZZ and how we each came to appreciate it. She by total immersion and I by the subversion of my older sisters. For the Jam set Eddy is joined by Arturo Gomez (piano) and Roberto Rodriguez (drums). "Stella By Starlight" has me admiring Arturo's crativity. Eddy follows and then they trade 4s and 8s. Samba invades the cellar room when they do "No More Blues" and Alec plays soft congas. Then Eddy becomes the congero. Clave is in the house when they do a traditional Cuban 'guaracha'. Norberto Espanada (bass) joins the group for the final set. They play a tune that neither Tracy or I can identify but it is a classic example of improvisation by all. "All the Things You Are" followed by a BLUES whose title I should know and am too embaressed to ask. As I often say, "You can take the boy out of the clave but you can't take clave out of the boy". The tune "Impressions" which included an 'impressive' bass solo. Tracy asks for "Killer Joe" and they do it, enthusiastically. That ended the music but not the conversation. 

I talk, Tracy talks, Eddy talks, Alec talks, Ezio talks. Gio is asleep in an easy chair. We're still talking and now it's approaching dawn. Or thereabouts. Hey, I didn't have to turn the radio on to be turned on by the "Real" Tracy Fields. You'll never now what you missed if you miss it. Get up. Get out. Support live music and have a great time.   

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment