Sunday, July 13, 2014

Yesterdays decisions...(...are today's realities, right, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 07/13/14

...have definitive results on your life today. I know I am supposed to write about the music I listened to last night. The only music I heard last night was off of my collection of CDs and tapes. I cannot review 'canned music' because I don't know if what I hear is manufactured or 'real'. Instead I am writing about me and why I find decisions difficult to make. In years long past I gambled, making bets on ballgames, cards, horses, dogs, crap and blackjack tables, slot machines and even jai-alai.

Gambling needs decisions constantly. Can he win carrying the 5lb apprentice allowance? Should I draw two to a 3 card flush because there is only a weak raise? I'm holding 12, the dealer shows a 9 and there is only one ten out, hmmm? My point is the 4. Do I take the double odds and put enough in the come to forestall a 7 resulting in a loss? The spread has dropped from 8 to 6 1/2, shall I, shan't I? Bad decisions equal losses. I made a really bad decision when I thought I was smarter than the United States of America. The cost was a loss of freedom, my marriage and every penny I had. I survived all those things, found G-d and stopped gambling-----for a while. I had learned the hard lessons of life on the 'dark side'. I read everything I could find on gambling. Read the Bible. Old and New Testament. Started to write poetry,then short stories and even attempted a couple of novels. One of the novels is a 'work in process'. The process is in it 23d year. I learned about G-d from the Bibles. I learned about love from my long-lost childhood sweetheart. I learned about gambling from a book titled "Get the Edge At Craps' by Frank Scoblette. I learned about living when I reconciled with my first wife. Most of all was learning how to make decisions by weighing realities rather than blown bubbles.  Writing about the live music I listen to and finding someone willing to publish it is one of the better decisions I have ever made. The JAZZ and BLUES musicians that have befriended me is an endless source of pleasure. The guys and dolls who now share my life are an absolute delight. This is my way of thanking you all. 

You have earned that gratitude and writing this was a very easy decision!!!!!

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment