Wednesday, July 2, 2014

"They Call It...( ..."Burger Fix" night at The Funky Biscuit for Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 07/02/14

...Stormy Monday" but it's okay by me. Monday, I mean. On Monday evenings I am inexorably drawn to the Funky Biscuit in Boca Raton. The reason? It might be the cordial owner Al Poliak, maybe the sound system overseen by Ray. Perhaps the $5 hamburger special that's worth twice the money. Could be the friendly service. How about the folks you bump into. 

All of the listed are good enough reason to be there but it's the BLUES Jam that's the clincher. It is an ongoing Monday night event. Presently it's hosted by Mark Telesca (bass/vocals) with George Alan Gibb and Drew Preston on guitar, Colin James (B3) and Anthony Lombardi on the trap set. I arrived early only to find my personal photographer Jimmy Belize (see photo at top) and his personal nurse, Nancy, already there and about to shcoff down the Special. I ordered an adult beverage and the burger and started to take notes as the music started. 

A clumsy oaf (me) spilled a little of my tall rum and tonic and obliterated the 10/15 minutes of my scribblings. The result is that it only became legible after the Jam was under way. At this point Tom Miller was at the B3, Bob Ragu was tearing it up on tenor sax, Bobby Vann (bass) with Rico on congas. The tune was "I Want Sugar". Brendan O'Hara gets up to sing "Ain't No Sunshine" followed by a impassioned "Fever". Brendan will be at the Biscuit next Wednesday, July 9. Chuck Fiore takes over on bass, Ed Willy (guitar) when Sista Marybeth comes to the stage. She is cute in a cap and I almost didn't recognize her. 'Sista' always entertains and she does it again with 3 songs. Jimmy Powers (Uke-regular and bass) is joined by Tiffany to do duets on a Beatles tune and then "I'm Your Captain". Unusual and moving. I luv'd it. 

I am wearing down (effects of the treatments) so I'll mention the people that joined the Jam and made the evening one of the best ever --- Cap't. Reese (vocals), Manon (piano/vocals) Chuck Fiore Jr (drums), James Kidwell (guitar), Ken Burgner(bass), Jerome (France), Rob Peterson (bass), William (left-handed drummer), and Adam Wasabi (drums). If I left you out I ask for your pardon. I will do better next time. Took Tuesday off. Lots of stuff Wednesday so get up and get out. Check listings.  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment