Saturday, July 26, 2014

I am definitely not...(Unless it has to do with trekking to hear good music, right, Allen Kanovsky? Like Aaron Lebos Reality at Arts Garage?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 07/26/14

...a 'Treky'. I have seen "Star Wars" once. I prefer detective stories over science-fiction. Music is entirely different. I felt something the first time I heard Dizzy and the Bird. The Boyd Raeburn and Stan Kenton bands. Dizzy used it in a tunes title "Things To Come". There were great sounds to come. Now once again I get to here the 'music for the day after tomorrow. The quartet is called "Reality". This is not reality in any way. It's unreal. The future of JAZZ to be enjoyed today.

Aaron Lebos (guitar) fronts the band which has Jim 'the genius' Gasior on keys, Eric England electrifying the bass and Rudolfo Zuniga keeping them all in line and ending together. This happened at Arts Garage in Delray Beach on Friday night. They open with "Turning Point" which slowly grows to crescendo proportions before bringing it down for the conclusion. You are instantly made aware of the talent on stage. The band follows with a tune titled "9 to 5". The tune had no name until a fan had asked for the title. The time signatures include 9's and 5's--hence --- It should be called "Dizzy from 9 'til 5", since it is laced with "Manteca" like riffs. Next, the play "Yinglish". It is a happy kind of tune that contains a smile in the melodic line. Eric's solo is reflective of this bands creativity and imagination. Aaron elects to play "Hong" which is his Mom, Sandra's, favorite. Sandra is in the audience and I never pass up the chance to chat it up with a charming and beautiful lady. ----wipe the smile off your face ---. Aaron plays alone through a  64 bar intro that has everyone captivated by the music he has generated. Aaron's pedal stand has enough buttons to fly a jet to New York and all the nuance of sound that is possible.  Jim's solo during this tune makes my use of the word 'genius' a truism. Aaron wrote one titled "Rick Rubin". It is a "BLUES". Not a BLUES as we are accustomed to hearing. This is the BLUES for 2055. The rhythmic and melodic changes are dramatic. The 2d set was no letdown. If anything it was even more exciting. The play-list included "Raging Almonds" (for the Allman Bros.), "Songs For the Nun", "Flux Capacitor",  "Python Dreams", "Emmalise" (for his niece), "Home-Screen" and concluded with "Hendrix". No not for Jimi but rather for Aaron's dog. At times Aaron & Eric are like musical Siamese twins ,exchanging ideas in a constant flow of imagination. Jim often moves from ethereal to whimsical, keeping your attention all the while. "Emmalise" is a soft, romantic melody which easily engenders the holding a baby in your arms.

Karla, Rudolfo's girlfriend, is seated at Sandra's table (friends and family) and both are touched. "Home-Screen" opens with Jim producing unearthly, never heard before, sounds from his nordwave. He is playing the Yamaha Es as well. His and Aaron's solos are absolutely beyond description. The closer, "Hendrix" has Rudolfo displaying futuristic 'chops', Aaron and Jim trading 2's and some unison sections. Eric is showing his love of music and his instrument. -------- Wotta nite------ Thank you Aaron, Jim, Eric and Rudolfo for taking us on an musical flight to the future of JAZZ. Thanks to Arts Garage for their forward looking attitude. Than you Tracy (the real) Fields (91.3FM) for returning me to the present for the ride home.

I realize after reading what I have just written that I have used every superlative I know. The performance is worthy of every single word. 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment