Monday, June 30, 2014

What does a guy like me...(We wouldn't know Allen Kanovsky, because there is only ONE like you!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/30/14

...do for fun? First and foremost, get out of the house and find some live JAZZ or BLUES or Opera or Ballet. Try calling some pals to join you. Avoid dining out --- alone. So here's what happened last night. 

Start with Ms. Reeeeta Wilburn, Jeff Prine (guitar), Mitch Goldstein (B3) and Danny (brushmaster)Burger on drums. How about friends like Babette, Jimmy Belize with Nancy, Mark & Liz, Bill (the ump),Piano Bob, Capt. Bob, sculptor Davis Murphy, Jeff's look alike daughter Jennifer, Ron Anonymous out for a night of 'Detroit' moves with Beautiful Brenda and dance partner Denise Shuster. Jeff is playing a '56 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top guitar that he's not quite happy with. His favorite is his '52 (same make, same model). It's Mitch's birthday and a holiday mood pervades the house. They are clappin" and tappin' from the very first note of the instrumental opening. Rita takes the stage and sings a BLUESy "You Made Me Leave My Happy Home" which affords me the chance to do "The Fish" with Denise. Ms. Wilburn has a special way to do "The Thrill Is Gone" utilizing her voice to do rhythmic patterns. The band and Rita jump "My Baby Just Cares For Me"---Me and Denise do a little bit of "Lindy". Rita invites the audience to snap their fingers in time and sings "Fever". This brings Ron Anonymous and Beautiful Brenda on to the dance floor. Detroit locomotion--uh huh, uh huh. You like love songs? How about an emotional "The First To Say Goodbye". A change of genre with 'funk' in the house with "Give Me One Reason To Stay" and almost every lady in the house is on the floor shakin' their B&B's. Rita invites young Shakeem Fraser (tenor sax) to the stage for "Blue Moon". 

I invite Rita to dance knowing that she will urge me to place my head on her bosom. It doesn't take much urging as my neck is at an appropriate height. I close my eyes. How about dreaming with your head on a cloud. That ends the set giving me time to recover while chatting it up with friends. 

The 2d set started with Jeff singing a very soft and easy BLUES, "I Need You So Bad". He follows with an original bit of western swing. Thankfully, Rita returns to the stage and invites Katt Riggins up to join her in "Rock Me Baby". Talk about inspirational songs. It inspires me to dance with Rita again and then with Katt. Let me give you something to envision. Rita must be an even 6' tall. I doubt that Katt is 5'. I admit they are both a handful of pure pleasure to dance with. 

I would like to review the rest of the evening for you and I have the hand-written notes to do so. Unfortunately it is coming close to the time that I have to go for my radiation (only one more after today) treatment. The play list and dancers will have to suffice: "Unchain My Heart" Ron and Brenda dancing----"At Last", Mark & Liz on the floor----"I Love My Man" with a 10* solo by Mitch----"You Make Me Feel So Good" and Rita invites all ladies wearing black & white up to join her in song. & ladies are up. I am wearing B&W. I will not pass up the opportunity to be on the floor with 7 ladies regardless of the colors of their skin or attire. Last set: "Summertime" with Shakeem joining in. 

The night ended with "Stormy Monday" Yep, it was 12:15am and Monday. See ya.  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment