Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The "Decadent Duo"...(NOT something you order at the coffee shop, but you can probably find at The Funky Biscuit, right, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/XX/14

...in the person of Jimmy Belize and myself, returned to action last night. The pair were accompanied by 'Nurse' Nancy. Jimmy is recovering from a triple by-pass and I am undergoing radiation therapy. These setbacks did not deter us from going to the Funky Biscuit for the Monday Night BLUES Jam and Al Poliak's $5 hamburger special. 

The music and food were both worthy of our presence. The house band was fronted by Mark Telesca (bass/vocals), Drew Preston (guitar/vocals), Colin James (B3), Robert Alan Gibbs (guitar) and Anthony Lombardi (drums). The mood for the BLUEsiacs was set right from the first notes. 

They opened with "Losing the BLUES", followed quickly with the slow drag "Don't Need Your Loving No More". Mark providing the vocals with appropriate solos by Drew and George. "I'm Going Down To the Crossroads" was played and then a shuffle, "Stand My Ground". Drew played a 5 star solo which ended with he and Robert trading phrases. The BLUES ruled the night when they continued with "Baby Please Don't Go". Robert's solo was the intro to the shuffle "You Got the BLUES" with Colin switching to piano for his portion. The jam is on when Chuck Fiore replaces Mark on bass. Drew takes the mic to sing "Don't Know When" and also plays a guitar/drum poertion with Anthony. Tommy Benson joins the jam on guitar to do "Someday You Gonna Be Cryin" with Mark back on vocals. Tommy and Drew trade solos and Colin shows his splendid "chops" at the piano. Motel Mel (of Fish House/Grumpy Grouper fame) sits down at the B3 and Ken Berger picks up the bass. Mel does two vocals. "I Ain't Superstious" and "Gonna Kill the Ice Cream Man". Mel is full of life and fun. Capt. Reese takes the mic and Charlie Gaspar is on bass to do "Crossroads". A very pretty Manon plays piano with George back on stage when they play "Might Be Your Man. I Don't Know". Manon(akaM.J.) lets us hear a little ragtime. They all stay and the Capt. does "The Thrill Is Gone". Colin returns to the B3 and Telesco sings "Locked Up In A Prison of Love". Charlie is having an absolute ball, smiling all the way. A young lady named Pauline is invited up and she sings a credible "Stormy Monday". A couple of BLUES tunes and then Mark sings in D minor (the saddest key of all) the very BLUESy "Nobody Loves Me". George takes advantage of the key and the mood with a really soulful guitar solo. Manon returns to the piano to sing and play "Sweet Home Chicago" and do a little 'barrel house' piano. Her emplyment of old style piano play reminds me of 'Piano Bob'. The band does "Don't Care If I Die", jumpin' it all the way. The audience gets a rare treat when Roscoe Martinez gets up to sing "If It Wasn't For Bad Luck". All I can say is WOW!!!!. A young man is on stage to do the 'rock' standard "Roadhouse". 

That concluded the night of music. What a night it was. Jimmy picked up his cane and took Nancy's arm to return to his car. I picked up my a-- to return to mine and join the Real Tracy Fields (WLRN93.1) and Melton Mustafa for the ride home. 

As I was leaving, had a chance to talk with Jerry Blum. He is planning a new release of collected Graham Wood Drout works to be released in December. It would be a great Christmas gift for any Bluesiac, even me.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment