Friday, June 20, 2014

It was a bright, sunny... (and we can bet Allen Kanovsky had his cool jazz shades on as he headed to the WLRN Studios!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/20/14

...South Florida morning. I arranged for them to radiate me early so I could be at Ed Bell's (WLRN 93.1FM) live broadcast. What was so urgent? Try this Aaron Lebos, Jim Gasior, Eric England and Rudolfo Zuniga. That is what I would call a band. And the music is indescribable. 

There is no label that I can apply. I like to say it's the music for the Day After Tomorrow. If you really listen it has a lot of the music of yesterday. Some of Aaron's original tunes are BLUES based. Others made up of curious chords and intricate rhythmic patterns. Even the dynamics are unusual. Rudolfo emplys only a bass drum, tom-tom, 3 cymbals and the hi-hat. Aaron uses an electronic board that has lots of pedals,dials and buttons. I have seen less on the control panel of a trans-continental airliner. I asked him if he had a name for it. He doesn't and suggested that I name it. How about "Star Ship Riot". Ed told me that the board has a pedal called the "Cry Baby" for the wah-wah effect. It was used by Jimmi Hendrix way back in the day. 

In the audience with me was Harry (MiamiArtzine), George Early (volunteer reader for the blind), Manny (buddy from the Van Dyke), Ted Grossman (late night(WLRN), John LeBlanc (Canadian friend of Eric Allison) and the lovely Kara Scott.

John, Kara and I talked about how JAZZ and BLUES are related. The band opened with "Turning Point" which is the title track of their latest CD. It was soft JAZZ. Not smooth, soft. Jim's solo on the Nordware board was a look at 'things to come'. The next tune was an example of the fusion of BLUES chords into the music of tomorrow. It is titled "Screens". Jim is comfortable with any genre and seems to enjoy looking forward.  I wonder what inspired "Python Dreams". It was a trip through space with Aaron's solo reminiscent of Zappa. There was a section of syncopated stop-time rhythms with all joining in the fun of it. "Hongs" starts with Aaron's intro solo. It is almost an etude for alacrity. His guitar skills are nonpareil. The chords and progressions have me paying close attention. Eric keeps up the pace. "Some for, Then me"  country but knowing Aaron it won't be that way long. And it isn't. Exciting solos by all bring you back to urban society and JAZZ. 

I don't know the title of the last tune but Eric did an intricate opening solo and the tune gave everyone a chance to 'show off.' Odd rhythmic patterns. Strange chords. As I said "The Music For the Day After Tomorrow". 

Dark clouds fill the sky. Thunder and lightning in the distance. The clouds let loose the rain. For me, it still is bright and sunny with the music continuing to ring in my ears.   

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment