Saturday, May 31, 2014

"Me and the Night...(Would that be the night of the "Last Tango in Delray" Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/31/14

...and the Music". I find it true that music has a strong hold on me. My business card reads

Allen Kanovsky     Jazz, Blues & Books     My Way of Life


I am married to the BLUES, but being the dog that I am, JAZZ is my mistress. And that is on my Anglo side. My macho man is really a "perro". Salsa, Flamenco and Tango rhythms all have important places in my "corazon". Last night at Arts Garage Flamenco was my partner. An authentic tango trio provided the music. Anibal Berraute  is the band leader and plays piano. Playing violin is Elias Garnik. His parents were born in Odessa and my parents were born in a nearby town, Kishinev. The bandoneon is the heart of any tango band and last night it was Miguel Vettorello handling that important role. Prior to the band playing a very beautiful young lady named Monica Llobet gave tango lessons to about 90 men and women of varying age and rhythmic skill. I was fortunate to be seated with 2 attractive women. Victoria, a construction consultant and Eleanor who is a tango instructor herself. It is impossible not to be drawn into the romanticism of tango. There are three dfferent types of dance, Tango salon, Maranga and Vals. It took a little while but then one couple got up to dance followed by another, then 3 more and before long the floor was crowded whith Tangoneros y Tangoneras. Tango is ritualistic and even the way one is asked to dance is formal and subject to routine. The melodies are dramatic, romantic and honest. The rhythm is infectious. Alyona's parents were drawn to the floor and did nicely. The trio eneded each of their sets with "La Cumparsita" which was the only melody I recognized of the 15 or so tunes they played. I enjoyed every moment of the evening and left with the thought that I've got to learn to be a 'tangonero'.    

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment