Thursday, May 15, 2014

Joe E. Lewis... (Not to be confused with Joe Louis, Allen Kanovksy's other mentor...)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/15/14

...a gruff voiced comedian from way back in the day, once said, "You can lead a horse to water --- but if you can make him float on his back, you're really doing something".

Last night I walked into a somewhat empty BJB's. A couple of regulars, a lot of reserved signs on tables (Jesse Jones Jr. was going to be the feature in Danny Burger's Showcase later on) and Ms,Glenda Grainger on stage accompanied by pianist Gary Lawrence. Glenda sings 'cabaret'. The American songbook as it was written by its composers. There are over 500 tunes that she has charts for. At times I have asked her to inject a little JAZZ into her renditions. Occasionally she did. Maybe it was the sparsity of the audience, it might have been my designer shirt (Marshalls) or even my haircut. Whatever it was, the lady put her JAZZ chops on display and she does have some. Taking liberties with the melodic and rhytmic lines. Using flatted fifths to end a tune. Thank you Glenda.

Tomorrow is Jesse Jones Jr. birthday. Last week it was Ira Sullivans. There has to be a JAZZ chromosome in September sperm or ova. Danny playing drums, Paul Shewchuck thumping th bass and Brian Murphy plunk, plunk, plunking on the keys. I Think the name of the first tune was "South Gate Blues". It doesn't matter. It was pure, unadulterated be-bop from the first triplet on. The cats had caught a groove. It was definitely going to be one of those special nights. It was. Jesse inspired Brian into a solo that had everyone leaning into every single note. Paul followed picking up the vibe. 8's all around including Danny and a race to the finish --- OOOOWEEE BABY!!!!!!. What can follow that? How about Freddie Hubbard's "Gibraltar". Jesse tumbling the walls of Jericho with the rhythm section pushing him hard. Jr. did a little scat through his horn and blew the crowd away. A bunch of guys had come in, celebrating a birthday. They were a bit too conversational. Jesse's blowing shut them up. Johnny Mercer wrote "Skylark' and the quartet did the song proud. Brian was melodic. Paul was mellow. Danny soothed with brush work and Jesse played his song. Changing tempo and style they do "Mr. P.C". You seldom see a drummer use brushes on a really up-beat tune. Danny did one of the most spectacular solos and backgrounds I have ever heard. This session should have been recorded --- or maybe not. Maybe more folks should come out for these nights that you never know will happen. You ain't playing no JAZZ unless you do some BLUES and they did. "One For Daddy D".

Down home, after hours BLUES with Jesse scatting a solo chorus. A gal Pauline Berman was celebrating her birthday with a couple of friends, Sheila Brooks and Yamida Garcia. They wanted to hear "Harlem Nocturne" Did they ever. Later in the program, they played "Take Five". Let me say, Brubeck wrote it, Brian PLAYED IT. I should continue with a review of the rest of this spectacular evening of JAZZ but my head is bending down to the keys of my computer and my eyes are starting to close--(radiology appointment at 8AM this morning) Wrote a poem for Jesse which I will post tomorrow.

=====Happy Birthday all you May babies----

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment