Sunday, May 25, 2014

It's a new day...( for Allen Kanovsky at The Jacksonville Jazz Fest!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 05/25/14

...and this old dawg is somewhat revitalized. I am showered, shaved and fresh as a dai---dandelion. I face the new day somewhat disappointed. The late night Jam Session that usually takes place in the Hyatt's Grand Ballroom is not on the schedule. Additionally their breakfast buffet has been moved to the coffee shop. The breakfast is extensive including to-order omelettes and crispy croissants. Let me add, at $18.95 it is not a bargain and represents a percentage of my hard-earned SS check. Music---you are supposed to write about the music---ok. I stroll  a short block to the Groovin" Stage. 

I find a spot for my collapsible chair and am warmly greeted by a quartet of folks who have driven down from South Carolina. They were Melanie and Kevin Cooper, Tony Robinson and Angela Williams. Angela had driven all the way and would later snooze during the breaks. The opening program was the Youth Talent Showcase which was a contest between 10 candidates for 3 cash prizes to further their musical education. They ranged in age from 11 to 20. The 3 judges were, Lisa Kelly, Renee Albirosa and Elisa Perris. Unfortunately the sound engineers had not done their job and the first contestant Alia Grafton could not be heard througout her 2 songs "Wonderful You Came By" and "L is for the Way". She would get another chance later in the program. Next up was Brennan Fister (20), playing alto sax. He had selected "Days of Wine and Roses" and "There Will Never Be Another You" The latter played up-tempo with be-bop phrasings and excellent technique. Now it was time for James Simpo Jr. (14). He plays guitar as well as 7 other instruments. This young man has a 'cool cat' demeanor and wonderful stage presence. Additionally he can play! He did a bluesy version of "Black Magic Woman" and then a 'funk' tune which I could not identify. I was sitting next to his grand-mother, Shirley. You could see the pride written on her loving expression. I spoke with his Dad, James Sr. He has raised him as a single parent since infancy. The remarkable thing is that Dad and Grandma are not musicians or musical. It proves that musical talent is gift of the Lord. Next was a young lady (18), Kara Lynn Fraser. Her program of 2 songs were "Waiting For You" and "Summertime". Real nice voice and professional delivery. More and more lady horn players are appearing on the JAZZ scene. So it is with Marissa Webster(trumpet). She opens with a tune whose title escaped me but I recognized. Modern post-bop. She followed with "I'm A Fool To Love You". I personally think the toughest thing for trumpet players are slow ballads. Ms. Webster accepted the challenge, delivering  with emotion tenderness. Two pianists were next. First Marcus Williams (20) playing the BLUES and then Mickey Hoag (19) doing vocal parts as well. Please excuse any misspelling of names. There was no printout available so I did the best I could with the MC's pronunciations. Another 13 year old girl, Panaadi Kuadi sang "I Don't Know Why I Love You Like I Do" and then a song I should know that starts "Give me a -------" Late in the song she sang the lyric in her native tongue. Very interesting. Schuyler Nolan (14) playing both tenor and alto. He started with the tenor, growling into "Summertime". He picked up the alto to do "Misty". Very pretty, original and creative. The last contestant to perform was Willy Moore III playing guitar. He played "Georgia" to start and then a ballad which I didn't recognize. His performance was slick and  professional. Personally I thought it was predictable. They gave Alia her second chance and she did well with a repeat of "L".

A personal note to Ms. Jackie Deering: Alia is what you call "cute and sweet." 
  
The five finalists were Brennan who did a boppish tune, Kara Lynn singing "Blind Girl", Marlissa with a Dizzy tune, Schuyler playin alto to "House of the Rising Sun" and Willy playing a tune I didn't know. By the way Willy plays left-handed. Being a lefty is a sign of superior intellect. I know that because I am one. I did not get all their names but the rhythm section for the contestants were Stan???? on bass, John??? drums and Jarvis??? at the piano. Marissa finished 3d ($250). Willie was 2d ($500) and Brennan was 1st ($1,000). 

During the break I visited a food truck "Up In Smoke" and enjoyed one of the best brisket sandwiches I ever ate. My beverage was called an "Arnold Palmer". 1/2 ice tea, 1/2 lemonade. It was good as well.

The MC for the next performance was a comedian known as 'A' Train. He was pleasant, engaged the audience and funny. He was describing a relative as being somewhat dim. "She takes 2 hours to watch "60 Minutes" and wanting to buy a new car with her tax refund. The brand of choice an OOOO. OOOO? What kind of car is that? Look at the lid of an Audi trunk. He works at the Comic club of Jacksonville with Thurs. Fri. and Sat. shows. No "F" bomb comics allowed.

Linda Cole and the Joshua Bowlus Quartet were next on the bill. Joshua on piano, Billy Thornton on bass, Ben Adkins on drums and guest artist Alphonso Horne playing trumpet. I was in for an unexpected treat. They did a short sound check with "I Remember You" They opened with an instrumental "Savoy" Alphonso took the lead and I was up out of my seat with delight. WOW!!! They did a very tasty bass/trumpet duo, a piano solo followed by trading 8s all around. Alphonso---tone, technique, ideas----on & on. Ms. Cole takes the stage with "Call Me" to a salsa rhythm accompanied by a 5 star bass solo. She follows with "L is for". She has a heck of a lot of style and Alphonso's be-boppin' solo doesn't hurt. Joshua adds a tinkling piano and then Linda trades 4's with the trumpet and then scatting in chorus. "Love Was Made For You and Me" and then a beautiful rendition of "Jinjee". They follow with a song I haven't heard in a hundred years, "Slow Boat to China". There's a little funk in the rhythm with Linda's vocal and Alfonso's trumpet soaring above it. Billy on bass continues to impress and Joshua does a little stride piano work. Linda picks a Dinah Washington tune, which is seldom heard, "Destination Moon". It is a rocking, happy song. during Alfonso's solo he quotes "Starting to see the light". The thought keeps crossing my mind ---- WOTTA BAND---WOTTA BAND. Linda sings the ballad "In The Wee Small Hours" transiting to "What A wonderful World" I think it sure is. Another song from out of the past. "Frim Fram Sauce" during which, Alfonso using plunger mute does another almost incredible solo. Linda closes with the BLUES, "Going To Chicago". The band rocks the BLUES with Linda trading 4's with the drummer. Joshua is shaking the piano off it's legs and Alphonso is reinforcing my idea of going into the plumbing supply business, specializing in plungers.

What an afternoon and especially WHAT A BAND!!---WOTTA BAND!!!!! Thanks to all the musicians who make my world wonderful.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment