Thursday, April 3, 2014

The 3 letter "S" words and I...( SINfully good times at The Fish House last night, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/03/14


As the years went by, certain things beginning with the letter 'S' became more important to me. The numbrer of Sox that were in my drawer, the frequency or infrequency of Sex and most of all the opportunity to listen to talented Sax players. This week I was blessed to hear generations of saxophonists from way back in the day to the JAZZ men of tomorrow. Age 11 to 82 and all in between.

Ira Sullivan (sax/flute/flugelhorn/trumpet)  could be the father of some, the grandfather of many and the great-grandfather of several. Wednesday night at The Fish House in Kendall, owners Angela and Jose hosted a fund-raiser to aid Autism research & awareness ( AUTISM SPEAKS ) . David Leon generally leads their regular Wednesday Night JAZZ jam. As a guest host he had the aforementioned Ira Sullivan. The house band had Josh Allen on bass, Kyle Swan on drums, David playing alto and Aaron Lebos on guitar. Side note: Aaron's CD release party at the Stage tonight). They open with "Star Eyes" and Kyle makes an immediate impression with his "tasty" style. Next they play Benny Golson's "Sabileinto". Ira now playing flugelhorn with David and Aaron sharing the spotlight. Mark Berner (flute) joins them for a very sentimental "Quiet Nights and Quiet Stars". When they do "Olio" David turns in a 4 star solo---sax,sax,sax! Ira and Kyle team up for a great sax-drum portion. The Jam Session is on. Ian Munoz (L'il JAZZ) is 11 years old. His alto sax is not much shorter than the boy. He plays like a seasoned JAZZist and loves being on stage. He is joined by other talented youngsters during the course of the Jam including Jose Albizu (bass), Conner Munro (tenor), ?Flores (guitar) who do the opener "Donna Lee".

Ben Suarez (guitar) and Kelly Gonzalez (trumpet) join in on "A Train". Ben has me taking notice with his opening triplets and then easing into nice swing rhythm patterns. Sitting opposite me is a very pretty young woman. Her smile is lovely and broadens with every new song. When approached she tells me how much she loves JAZZ. Her name is Raquel Astree. I took a picture of her enjoying the music. ---If this was only 1960 --- Bill is at my table with our friends Serina and Georgine. He asks if he should ask Raquel to join us. It would be one thing if I asked. Bill speaks a different language when speaking to ladies. David returns with Stan Johnson (tenor), Dan Andrews (alto) and Tom Zoden (tenor). They are to be joined by Uli Gipta on trombone and AJ Lopez Lima on guitar. These young men have tone and technique.Creative and imaginative.

The joint is jumping as Jammers continue to arrive. Among the new arrivals are Aris Dolce (alto) and Claude Louis (tenor). When Louis gets up to play "Stella By Starlight" his horn speaks the language of love. It's as if he's talking to Stella who is standing right in front of him. No woman in the world could or would reject this plea. Aaron's solo is in the same tongue. When Aris takes the front of the stage you see one more youngster who will carry JAZZ into the future. Bright and dedicated to the art. If I left anyone out I am truly sorry --- blame it on the endless glassfuls of 'sangria'.  David, Ira and Mark play 'C-melody', alto and tenor respectively on the next tune. It's been a long time since I have heard anybody play C-melody saxophone. David joins Ira and Mark on flute to close the show with "Day By Day (Godspell) and "Amazing Grace". Aaron (now bare headed) does a truly spiritual solo. I say thank you and goodnight to all. As usual, when leaving an Ira Sullivan performance I felt the presence of the Lord. My need for SAX has been sated----Troy Roberts, Ira Sullivan, David Leon, Ian Munoz, Claude Louis, Aris Dolce. From 11 years old to soon to be 83. JAZZ is alive and well in South Florida. My deepest and sincerest apologies to soon to be Dr. Tim Jago who I repeatedly and mistakenly called Tom in my last review --- it's that Aussie accent, mate.

*PHOTOS FROM EVENT AT:

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment