Thursday, March 13, 2014

What is more pleasurable...(Sounds like Allan Kanovsky had a good day with lots of music!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/13/14

...than SAX? Probably more SAX. I partook of that pleasure yesterday, courtesy of Jesse Jones Jr., Joe Donato and later that day Ira Sullivan. The afternoon performance at the Coral Gables Museum had Jesse and Joe on alto sax with Orlando Machado (drums), Brian Murphy (keyboard) and Dr. Jaimie Ousley on bass. In the audience were Frank Consola (WDNA), Ed Bell (WLRN), Jeannette Pina and her Dad, Brians wife Donna Blue, my pals Deborah and Duane Crisp and altoist Hana Dolgin along with about another 120 JAZZ fans. Jesse and Joe started the program by approaching from opposite sides and playing a multi-layered intro to Charlie Parker's "Tenor Madness". Two guys having an absolute 'ball' playing music together. Their mood is infectious and the rhythm section responds. During Jesse's solo he quotes "I Dream of Jeannie" and "Dance Ballerina" Joe will repeat those riffs in a number later on. The duo pays tribute to the great Johnny Hodges when they play "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". The pair having fun quoting songs from long ago. Jaimie's solo has lots of 'thumb position' highlights. Swing to Bop, they next play 'Bird's' "Confirmation". Staying in that genre the duo plays Cannonball's "This Here". Ed Bell lets me know that the original Adderly recording was labeled as "Dis Here" but PC dictated not using a 'eubonics' pronunciation. The tunes composer was Bobby Timmons who also wrote "Moanin". Orlando does his solo and can't help but insert a little clave rhythm. They close the show with "Cherokee" giving everybody a shot at making an impression. Prior to the show, I made Jesse promise that he wouldn't let Joe sing. He kept his promise----almost----Jesse is doing some scat lines and Joe can't control himself. He joins in. Truth be told it was pretty good. They do a Battle of the Saxes for the closing bars and it brings the audience to its collective feet in admiration and appreciation. 

Me being me, knows that I have to have another session of SAXuality and so later in the day I make my way to Blue Jeans Blues. Danny Burger's Wednesday Showcase. Ira Sullivan (all the horns) Mark Bergner (alto flute), Brian Murphy and Dr. Ousley (again) and Danny playing drums. Ira introduces me to Dolores Menges. Her late husband, Pete, had been a trumpeter with the Count Basie band for many years. Nonami Irakawa (vocalist/Dr. Jaimie's heart throb) graciously joins me at my table. My buddy and fellow JAZZophile, Yale is there. W.T. Heck and the ever present Babette as well. The band opens with "So In Love With You Am I". It brought to mind the love story of Brian and Donna and how their romantic story started at a club called "The Eager Beaver" in Halifax, Nova Scotia. A ballad followed with Danny, Ira, Jaimie and Brian trading chorus solos. Mark joins Ira, as they both play alto flute doing "Autumn Leaves". Ira leaves the stage and the Rhythm Section does one. Ira returns to do Benny Golsons "Whisper Not". The first set closes with the traditional set ending "Cherokee" during which Danny shows some wonderful cymbal technique. Ira is playing a shiny alto----it won't stay that way long. The 2d set starts with Ira picking up his--not shiny--soprano to do "I Can't Get Started". Nonami is not familiar with it and asks me about it before looking for it on her I-phone. "All The Things You Are" has Brian taking the first solo and then the rest do a chorus each. Once again Dr. Jaimie displays the thumb position technique to play an upper register solo. Ira now plays flugelhorn and sings---or do I mean SINGS???? --- fortunately it's a novelty tune "Frim-Fram Sauce" so you don't have to take it seriously. I am thinking of forming a trio of Joe Donato, Ira Sullivan and I. We would do vocals only and we could convert clubs we sang in to garages overnight. Mark rejoins Ira for "Corcovado---Quiet Nights and Quiet Stars". Drummer John Yarling joins the group for "My Favorite Things". Ira, again on muted trumpet, plays "Blue Jeans BLUES" and I ask Nonami to dance. We do and have a lot of fun listening and dancing to the tune. From "Godspell" Mark and Ira play "Day By Day" which they conclude with Ira's devotional "Amazing Grace". Brian takes it to 'church' with his solo. I am sated with SAX----

In my car I tune into the real Tracy Fields---and what do I get?


More SAX. Troy Roberts-----I think I need one of those little blue pills!!!!! 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment