Tuesday, March 11, 2014

It's Tuesday...(Darn near afternoon Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/11/14

..morning. I am not promoting the chain store of that name. Rather I am waxing philosophique. If it gets too wordy try me again another day. Monday evening I am inexorably drawn to Boca Raton and The Funky Biscuit. I had been in Boca Saturday night to listen to Arturo Sandoval. Last night a change of genre and venue. Be-bop to BLUES. Concert hall to 'honky-tonk'. The Funky Biscuit has become a favorite Monday night haunt. Can it be the $5 hamburger special or the congenial host Al Poliak. Maybe it's the friendly wait staff or is it that friends often meet here. It's possible that I like to dance and even more so watching gals shaking those B&B's. When it comes down to the nitty-gritty, it's the music. A Monday night open-mic BLUES Jam. Here are the names of guys who played for me and my friends, Jimmy Belize, Tania, Triner, Nacy and Sandy. Let's start with J.P. Soars (guitar/vocals), Pat Ward (bass), Drew Preston (guitar), Chris Peet (drums), Steve Laudicina (guitar), Tom-the chameleon-Regis (keys/B3), Ken Burgner (bass), Mike Loschiavo (drums), Jamie King Colton (B3/vocals), Chuck Fiore Sr. (bass) and another B3/vocalist whose name I was unable to get. The show opened with J.P, Steve, Pat and Chris on stage. I am on the way to having a great night of listening to the BLUES, dancing with a couple of ladies and generally having a good time. The band does some of the standard BLUES tunes and a couple of JP.s originals including a favorite of mine "Viper". I would be remiss in not mentioning a couple of really outstanding solos by Steve Laudicina. Another item of note was J.P's playing a self-built 2 string, cigar box guitar. He produces some unusual sounds that make you pay attention to the music. The talent on stage has me and my friends enjoying every moment. The 2d set has Drew Preston out in front. He opens with, as he described it, "a self-indulgent" moment, which turned into a multi chorus solo. If it weren't for the fact that he plays so G-D good, I might have fallen asleep due to its length. I danced with Nancy. I danced with Triner. I watched a couple of gals do their 'booty' thing. I heard some great music and was glad that I was 'inexorably' drawn to the Biscuit. 

I am running out of words and feel a nap coming on --- just heard that Troy Roberts will be in town ---   

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment