Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A 'joint' is a place...(NOT just a thing, right Allen Kanovsky? As in "the joint (Funky Biscuit) was jumpin' last night with Soars, Hanck, Santini +++++!)"


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 03/25/14
...where you like to go and hang with friends. It gets that way by consistently presenting good live music, whether BLUES or JAZZ. We lose some. We get some new ones. This year The Funky Biscuit will celebrate the 3d Annual Biscuit Fest. See listings at Jazzbluesflorida.com. I have been spending so much time there, that I feel I should pay, owner Al Poliak, rent. Last night, my hanging partner Jimmy Belize met me for the Monday Jam. To set it off we have J.P Soars (guitar/vocals), Chris Peet (drums), Pat Ward (bass) and Steve Laudicina on guitar. A shuffle BLUES "I Want To Be With You" puts us all in a happiness mode and "Music In My Soul" helps keep it up. Muddy Waters' "Going Down Walking" and then a triple f, triple k funk tune has us all clappin' and tappin'.

J.P. and Steve swing "I'm Missing Your Kissing" and continue with another of Muddy's tunes "The Gypsy Woman Told Me". A new original "Sumthin' Ain't Right" let's all the band members show off a little. Brandon Santini, down from Memphis, on a road tour joins in on harp when they do "Sometimes". Memphis, Blues harp and a voice = good times. J.P. does "I'm A Gangsta". A short break and the stage is star-studded. Terry Hanck (tenor sax), Colin James (tenor sax), Al Poliak (b3/vocals) and Drew Preston (guitar). Charlie Boyer, publisher of the JazzBluesFlorida.com magazine has found his way into the room. The musicians inspire one another to heights of BLUES emotion and the crowd loves it. The rhythm comes from the Islands when the do "Get Up, Get Out" --- the story of my life --- and Terry does a solo reminding me of the great Illinois Jacquet. Uh-oh, here's Sista MaryBeth. She will fill the room with those great pipes. She starts with a spiritual "By and By" and keeps it in church with "The Circle Will Be Unbroken". Everyone is playing great. "I Was A Fool To Ever Leave You" and I have no dance partner for the "Fish". "Don't Do The Walk-away" and still no dance partner. Charlie is too tall and Jimmy can't 'follow'. Gary King switches from Guitar to drums. Colin James moves to the B3. J.L Fulks has joined the group and it's getting betterer and betterer. And now betterer. Rich Conklin (drums), Johnny Cat (guitar), Chad Wirl on drums, Nick Hern (bass). The Jam is ON. 
The 'music goes round and round' and Jimmy, Charlie, a hudred or so folks and I are having a natural ball. Butch Cuzins is now playing bass, rounding out Terry's full California Band which is touring the State when not having too-much-fun at jams like this! Terry sings "Start All Over Again" and "You Give Me Nothin' But The Blues". Brandon Santini gives him nothin' but great harp solos in response.  A pretty young lady takes the mic to sing and then a turn at the B3. I am impressed by her voice and stage presence. Her name is Emma Torncello. You will definitely hear about her. This is another never-ending day with Jamie King Colton taking his turn at B3 and vocals, with Kilmo Doome and Bobby Nathan doing some late night stretching and Donny Gottleib putting in a long, long shift holding down the guitar corner. After the last song, the audience insists on one more, and then one more again. "Rock Me Baby" is a suitable ending to the evening. My head and heart are filled to the brim with great music played by great musicians. Good night, sweetheart---'til we meet tomorrow.  

How much fun was this night? Check out Charlie's pics!



















The BIG AL BURGER!






Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment