Tuesday, February 4, 2014

There is only one...(and might that be the ONE AND ONLY Allen Kanovsky at the Funky Biscuit on Monday nights?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/4/14

...proven cure for the gloomy blues. Get up, get dressed, get out and listen to some live BLUES. Monday started with mild distress over the blow-out Super Bowl. I wasn't distressed by the outcome but by the game itself. Worse yet the market opened and I watched my IRA become paltrier and paltrier. By the time the sun set I was on the point of possibly cutting my throat. I take pills for sugar, pressure, cholesterol and other conditions. When I feel depressed I generally light up something for which I do not have a prescription. The 2d step in the cure is live music. Specifically BLUES. More specifically the BLUES jam at The Funky Biscuit in Boca Raton. It is a 40 minute ride and I manage to stay on the road and not cause any accidents. Monday had Drew Preston (guitar) leading the group which had Tom Regis (B3/keys), John Zeeman (guitar/vocals), Joe Falconer (bass) and Tom Lovoti at the kit. There's a whole bunch of other musicians in the house ready to participate including Terry Hanck (tenor sax), BLuesy Dan (guitar), Liz Sharpe (vocals), Jerry Moscola (keys), Ken Bergner (bass), Lynn Simone (vocals), Drave Taylor (B3/keys), Kilmo (bass), Randy Ridenauer (drums), Eric Bindman (Electronic violin), Gary Benien (drums) and 16 year old guitarist Ben Sparaco.  The first song was a shuffle BLUES in Bb "Baby Won't You Please Come Home". The first notes were played and I started to pick myself up, dust myself off and-------. Mi amiga, Tania, and amigo Jimmie come in. T & J have been 'hanging' since our return from Cuba and she is radiant tonight. Drew plays an impressive intro for "Let Me Love You Baby" and continues in that mode with his guitar and vocal on "Little Wind". John Zeemer steps up for an instrumental (title????) which has us all clappin' 'n tappin' and Tom Regis adds a little brilliance to it all. Ms. Sharpe takes the stage with Terry, Jerry, Ken and Randy. Wasting no time they have the joint rocking with "You Ain't Lost Nothing You Can't Do Better Without". Their next tune has a great lyric that says "when you go, take your loneliness with you." "You can't help chuckling when Liz sings "You Made Your Move To Soon". I haven't heard Terry in quite a while and he made me realize how much I miss listening to him.  Old style BLUES take hold with "Slippin' Away From Me", when Lynn Simone takes the stage. She has the spirit and emotions reminiscent of Janis Joplin but her style is her own. Lynn gets funky with her version of "Hootchie Kootchie Woman". She closes with "Dr. Feel Good" leaving the audience feeling just that way. Drave Taylor did "real good" on the B3. Al Poliak sits down and he Terry, Drew, Gary, John, Tom, Kilmo et al tear the house up and down with "Fire". 

They send me home humming their closing 2d line BLUES "Say Hey Hey". I am feeling much better---good friends, good music and a little rum always seems to help.   

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment