Sunday, February 9, 2014

Post WWII Paris...(was a time of wine, roses, and JAZZ... those were the days, weren't they, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 02/09/14

...came to Delray Beach and Arts Garage last night. The ghosts of Stefan Grappelli and Django Rinehart were brought to life by Federico Brito (violin) and Jorge Garcia (guitar). With them were Felix Gomez (piano), Renyel Rivero (bass), Reinier Guerra (drums) and Edwin Bonilla (congas). The gypsy tinged program used the rhythms of the Caribbean and Brazil to bring this music into the 21st Century. The 1-2  123 of cha-cha-cha was the beat for "Our Love Is Here To Stay" with which they opened. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was done in 'samba'. I think Harold Arlen would have written it that way if it had fit the theme of the movie. Reinier's solo brought 'carnavale' to the Garage and Felix's piano added to the mood. An original composition, "Oriente" went from bolero, to son, to cha-cha and featured a bowed bass solo. "Perdido" is a traditional swing standard, loved by 'lindy hoppers". Last night you had better have known how to 'mambo'. Federico did some elegant 'pizzacotta' work and then the whole band took turns at 4s. They followed with another Federico composition, "Vivian" which he had composed for his wife. It is a beautiful bolero and she is an equally beautiful woman. Paying homage to Django they played his tune "Nuage". During Jorge's solo he quoted "Fascinating Rhythm". Tania and Jimmie were my table mates and it was Tania who brought the quote to my attention. When Tania was a very young girl she had heard the gypsy JAZZ stars, 'live', in Paris. "I'm Confessing That I Love You" was done in the romantic tempo of 'bolero'. "Oyche Chornia"(Dark Eyes) and the free rhythm of 'guaguanco' pervaded the room. An attractive woman, nearby, rose from her seat to shake it just a bit. I cannot resist. I rise and motion her to join me where there is a little more room to dance. She does and the girl can dance. Her name is Maylin Parsons and she is there with her husband Bill (saxophone). A little later on that evening I spy them dancing --- a lot closer than she and I had. The band swings "Honeysuckle Rose" Latin style with a really nice guitar and violin duet and an equally inspired bass solo. A tribute to the late great bassist, Cachao, opens with a full chorus bass solo which Renyel executes with 'alma mucho". The band joins in. Full mambo mode and again Maylin and I show off some 'moves'. The band plays "Cachita" encompassing the native Cuban 'danson' & 'son' sounds. "I Got Rhytym" is the encore tune which brings the curtain down and the audience to its feet in admiration.

When Federico and Vivian were leaving I took the opportunity to talk with them about their Cuban roots. He does not speak much English and so Vivian translated. He and she are charming and easy to talk with. I loved the music and was glad I had the chance to talk with this Grammy award winner. Tonight is still up in the air but I am leaning toward returning to Arts Garage and Jesse Jones Jr. Oh yeah!

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment