Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Musica! 24 horas/7dias de semana... (Allen Kanovsky returns from Havana Jazz Festival with stories to tell!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/24/13

...loosely interpreted it means "Music! 24 hours, 7 days a week." Where? Havana, Cuba. It's true. There is live music being played somewhere in Havana at any hour, any day of the week. It might be traditional 'son', salsa, bolero, straight ahead, bop or post modern JAZZ. Musicians of every age. Pre-teens to nonagenerians. Playing music somewhere. Jimmy Belize, Elaine Porteous and I checked into the Nacional Havana, a week ago Sunday. It didn't take long to find us all on the patio, rum concoction in hand and enjoying an evening of song and dance. Several of our flight mates joined the party including Patricia Reybold from Palm Beach. Me being me and music doing what it does to me had me doing mambo with Patricia, a little salsa with a pretty young thing  from England and topped off the evening with shaking, baking and stepping with one of the show girls.

Returning to reality the next morning, we, Jimmy, Elaine and I, broke off from the tour group to wander old Havana on our own. Met some great folks which I will tell about later on. That night we (the trio) took a short walk downhill to a club named "La Zorra y El Cuerro" and a 5 piece band playing 'JAZZ for the day after tomorrow. Carlos Miyares(Tenor), Harold Lopez(Keyboard), Carlo Rios(Bass),Yaraldy Abreu(Congas) and Oliver Valdes(Drums). The quintet played tunes I had never heard before in a style familiar to the young guys who have recently graduated from UM and FIU. Talented, fluent and creative. Everything tinged with Latin soul and Afro-Cuban rhythms. A 17 year old, Arthur Alvarez Torres, sat in on a number, playing oboe. They started late and we stayed later. I enjoyed every note played. Hopefully we can hear these guys in some local clubs in south Florida. 

Mas, manana-----   

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


1 comment :

  1. So, SO excited to hear more of your adventures and especially about the great music you heard. We thought about you everyday and knew you'd be having a blast!
    Love you,
    Michelle and Lew

    ReplyDelete