Friday, December 27, 2013

Late to bed--too early to rise....except for a Pina Colada (Allen Kanovsky continues to recount the good ol' days in Havana...you know... last week!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/27/13

I slept until breakfast at 7:30am and a pina colada at 8:15. It is a day before my 82d birthday and I am living proof that living a clean life is not the key to long life. Rum, vodka and good bourbon probably have more to do with it. We do the tourist thing with an unspectacular lunch and a good mojito. In the evening we are planning to go back to "La Zorra". We stop next door for a bite to eat. There is a local band playing at Sofias. It is a group named "Frase". They play traditional music and are very good. Out in front is a young lady playing clarinet and doing vocals, Deborah Breews Izquierdi. Behind her is Yoanny Cashillo Portuondo(vocals), Leticia Hernandez Figueras(guitar) Jose Longo Sotolongo Lescay(guitar) and Nelson Castellon Farias(percussion). It is the last time I allow a Latin musician write down the names of band members. We enjoy a pleasant repast and go next door to listen to some JAZZ. They remember James, Elaine and I and return us to the premier table we had the other night. Yissi Garcia plays drums. She is a petite, very pretty gal. She plays the instrument as good as any guy I've heard. The band is Alexis Bosch and Projecto JAZZ Cuban. The unusual thing is they are using a disc "scratcher" as part of the rhytm section. It added an un usual dimension. On congas Emilito Del Monte, Orlando Sanchez(Tenor), Roberto Garcia(trumpet), Roberto Vasquez(bass) and Khalid Alttijji doing the disc scratching. An unusual version of "Bye Bye Blackbird" has a great scratch solo and I marvel at the musicianship displayed by Khalid. It is now nap time for this old bird. Hasta Manana!!!!  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment